Should Torque Limiter Engage on Makita Drilling a Core Hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a corded Makita SDS drill.
I was trying to drill a 127cm core hole over the weekend and the torque limiter kept engaging making the job extremely time consuming.
It even engaged at the start with the bit stationary and pressed up against the concrete block.
I've hardly used the drill and it is about 2 years old.
Should it be doing this?
The bit is brand new (Bosch).
Will the warranty cover this?
What is the Makita warranty service like?

Sponsored Links
I think it may be more due to your technique than the drill. Far better that the limiter works than the drill grabs and breaks your wrist!

Starting with the bit pressed against the workpiece is a definite no-no as the motor has no chance to get up to speed before it hits resistance. Maybe you were just pressing too hard and not letting the drill do the work?

I have a corded Makita SDS drill.
I was trying to drill a 127cm core hole over the weekend and the torque limiter kept engaging making the job extremely time consuming.
It even engaged at the start with the bit stationary and pressed up against the concrete block.
I've hardly used the drill and it is about 2 years old.
Should it be doing this?
The bit is brand new (Bosch).
Will the warranty cover this?
What is the Makita warranty service like?

Yes it should be doing this to prevent damage to the drill
Always better to use a new bit
Warranty will not cover this as its not a problem with the drill
The warranty service from Makita in my experience has been very good

Your drill is not really up to the job you are asking it to do
and you may well be trying to force the bit through as well as moving the drill as its drilling .

You would be better off hiring a core drill if you have any more to do

Sponsored Links
Definitely user failure rather than drill failure I'm afraid

no i killed the clutch thingy on my 6 month old makita sds drilling 5 inch cores.

its not the right tool for the job.

The greater the diameter of the bit, the more resistance there is from the recipient workpiece.

Think about it, it is easier to try and stop a rotating drill by grabbing a broader bit/tool than it is to try and stop a small bit. Simple physics.

Many a standard sds have been killed in this way. Hire or buy a dedicated core driller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back