Should water shoot out of auto air valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a combi boiler with an auto air valve, the cap is missing, it's been missing for years, when I press the valve down water shoots out, otherwise it doesnt leak at all, I'm assuming this is faulty, I'd appreciate any advice, I can change it if needed for about £20, it's not in the combustion chamber. Also if there is a problem and I manage to open it up and clean it and release it if seized, rather than buying a new one can I just replace the cap? Is it literally like a car tyre cap?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The valve automatically expels air, which is pushed out by the water,and closes before water spews out.

Sponsored Links
I can change it if needed for about £20,
Show us a pic of it first

1679638954875.jpeg

If water comes out of an aav, it's doing its job of expelling air that collects in it. Normally it's full of water and is a high point in the system that collects air, which it then releases. As the air comes out, water comes in to take the air's place, and the presence of the water shuts the valve again

If air comes out, it's not auto bleeding it

Last edited:
when I press the valve down water shoots out,
Cant say I've come across many auto air vents with a valve in it that you can push down (Shraeder?), that would defeat the purpose of it being an 'auto' air vent.

Most do have a dust cap that is loosened and any air is then expelled 'automatically' by the internal float dropping. When there is enough air in the top of the bottle the spring pushes the float down and releases the air, once the air is expelled the water fills back in and pushes the float back up and shuts the valve.

As suggested, sure it isn't the expansion vessel? A pic would help

Need pictures.

Not puppies, the neighbours wife or where you went on holiday last - the valve your referring to :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back