Should We Have Informed LBA?

Bear in mind I am not an SE, but the way you are describing it there is a purlin support on the concrete beam which by my understanding must be a point-load. Q. Do the room layouts upstairs perhaps allow you to run an RSJ across on top of the concrete beam, and avoid having to rip/redecorate? I would have though the transfer of load to the walls/central wall would be the same? Of course, if it makes a step, it wouldn't work - just thinking...

Sponsored Links
He said he will do the calcs back at the office but experience says it will need to be removed and replaced with an rsj, he had a good look around before making this decision and said the wall above the lintel is there to support the roof purlin and essentially the roofs weight so what's been done isn't good enough.

Bear in mind I am not an SE, but the way you are describing it there is a purlin support on the concrete beam which by my understanding must be a point-load. Q. Do the room layouts upstairs perhaps allow you to run an RSJ across on top of the concrete beam, and avoid having to rip/redecorate? I would have though the transfer of load to the walls/central wall would be the same? Of course, if it makes a step, it wouldn't work - just thinking...

So not a point load which is why I thought the concrete lintel might just scrape through. However the idea of a spreader beam above the concrete lintel is a good one. You might get away with inserting reinforcement in the wall bed joints to make a large composite beam but OP seems keen to rip out the lintel and replace so it is a moot point.

Just to finish this off, the original builder called round last week and agreed if we pay for the rsj then he would fit it and make good the area leaving me just to decorate.

He came today and the new rsj is in, a quick video call with the bco and he's happy with the installation and the fitting of pink plasterboard, one final video call tomorrow after plastering and he'll put the certificate in the post so problem solved, another couple of weeks and we should be somewhere near moving.

Chris

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back