Should you 'treat' the window internals - hinges etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, not take them out for dinner & all that jazz before someone steps in :p I mean should you treat them with something as part of maintenance?

Our upstairs windows were very grubby. I've given them a wipe down but i'm wondering if the hinges side of things should be oiled/greased with something maybe?
The upstairs ones are fine but the downstairs ones feel quite stiff. I WD40d them but i know that's not really what's supposed to be used. I just thought i'd give it a bash as i had a can at the house while i was working.

If so, then what? Such as, if they're to be oiled periodically then what oil is used, as it wont be car engine oil that's for sure.

TIA.

Sponsored Links
No harm in giving things like that some care......for nylon stuff you can use white ptfe / lanolin spray grease, for others any oil will be fine - Duck oil spray is better than WD.
Lube may attract dirt though but thats easy enough to wipe away.
Good to do sliding locks on upvc doors too!
John :)

I believe the thin metal parts are galvanised steel. It will eventually rust, but quicker if it is dirty. The blocky parts will be light alloy castings which will corrode in time.

Clean the dirt off with a soft paintbrush and a mild detergent such as car shampoo. When dry, spray with WD40 or similar. It will protect the metal a bit, and also lubricate the moving parts.

It's possible that silicon spray lube will last longer than WD40, which seems to dry out and disappear. I have not tried Duck oil as BM suggests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back