UPVC Window hinges are 15"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a 10 year old "executive" house which was built by Barrett to a remarkable standard back in the day.

But I am finding a bunch of minor issue where they clearly didn't use "high standard" parts and I am working around the house to rectify them, but keep hitting brick walls as everything seems to be non-standard.

Take for example the handles of the external doors.. They are broken (I think because the multipoint locks are stiff) and the previous owner was a bit heavy handed.. Replacements should be easy to source/fit.. But are impossible as the screw spacing is non-standard..

Anyway.. Many of the UPVC windows have gaps at the bottom which I know from experience to be caused by broken hinges.. So rather than pay someone to replace them, I am going to have a go myself.

Today I measured them expecting them to be 16", but the hinges are 15". And after hours of searching I havn't found a single mention of a 15" hinge every existing?

I am at a loss.. I have about 20 windows with this hinge, and the estate has 22 hours, so thats 100s of windows built with non-standard hinges?

Am I missing something? Could it be that a hinge measured as 15" is rounded up and called 16"? Or is it possible that Barrett had custom hinges made?

What do I do? Can I simply fit a longer hinge and re-drill the screw holes?

Thanks in advance for any re-assurance you can give.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Many thanks... I think there is room for an extra inch..

But I am still curious as to why they are 15" when there is literally zero information about a 15" hinge online.. Could it be that they are just called 16", even though they are closer to 15"? Or did Barrett really get windows with custom length hinges?

I'm afraid I have no idea! :)
16" can be 400mm, so a few mm lost - but not enough!
Do your hinges have the plastic locator socket on the end? If those were missing, that could be another few mm!
If you haven't seen, there's a nice guide to measure up new hinges here:
https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/how-to-measure-your-window-hinges/

...apparently, the longer the hinge, the better, for improved weight distribution! :)

Sponsored Links
Yep.. Plastic ends are there.. I measured loads of windows and they are all exactly the same.. 388mm which is 1/4" over 15"..

I have attached a photo incase anyone is interested (NB. The image has come out rotated, its Side Hung, so photo shows the hinge at the BOTTOM).

Jon

Attachments

• hinges.jpg
    hinges.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 55
You may well find that some hinges are classed as 16 " but in reality actually measure less , I've seen 16 " at 400mm and 410mm , providing you have that extra room then a 16" hinge will be absolutely fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back