Shower/Bathroom extractor vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having a complete new bathroom fitted, which will need an extractor.

The fitter suggested that the fan should be fitted inside the shower cubicle, but the existing vent is over the bath on the outside wall across the room.

I would like to know if it is ok to fit it in the shower and make a duct in the loft then down the inner brick of the outside wall to the existing vent, so it doesn't show in the bathroom? I wonder about condensation.

Cheers, Camerart

Sponsored Links
It should be ducted out through the soffits or the roof, that would be much easier than doing what you seem to be proposing. An inline fan in the loft with a vent in the shower cubicle would be the best way to do it in my opinion.

Where is the door in relation to the vent? Is there a window?

Hi E,
The existing vent wall and the door are on the opposite corner to the shower. The window is opposite the door wall, and I think out of the question, if you are thinking about putting an extractor in it. Thanks.
C.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The existing vent wall and the door are on the opposite corner to the shower.
You should have the fan on the opposite side of the room to where the air will come in (to replace what the fan is removing) so it seems the vent position is not suitable.

The window is opposite the door wall, and I think out of the question, if you are thinking about putting an extractor in it. Thanks.
No. I wasn't.
However, if you have a window, you do not really need a fan.

Fans are not magic. If you have condensation problems, there may be more fundamental problems.

It should be ducted out through the soffits or the roof, that would be much easier than doing what you seem to be proposing. An inline fan in the loft with a vent in the shower cubicle would be the best way to do it in my opinion.

Hi J,
The soffit is approx 3 inches wide. Perhaps a roof vent/fan (if there is one) would be ok. The duct would be full width of the room and over the joists, if connected inside the shower.. The alternative could be through the chimney that forms one side of the shower, but a bit difficult!
Thanks,
C.

No. I wasn't.
However, if you have a window, you do not really need a fan.

Fans are not magic. If you have condensation problems, there may be more fundamental problems.

Hi E,
Here's a picture:

I would like a fan that comes on when the shower is on and goes off after some time. There are no particular damp problems.
Thanks,
C.

Attachments

• SHOWER.png
    SHOWER.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
H
Clearly - above/in the shower would be the best place.
Hi E,
It's just occurred to me that I could go round the chimney with a flexible ducting above the ceiling.

As the outside is difficult to get a ladder to (There is a lower roof) is it possible to fit a wall vent only from the inside? Does the hole need to be drilled from the outside, or if drilled only from the inside, do the bits drop outside or do they stay inside the cutter?

C.

Attachments

• SHOWER.png
    SHOWER.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
There will be some debris that will fall down, but most of it should stay inside the core drill.

Is the house rendered ? If so, then you need to ensure that the duct is sealed to the render which may not be the case with the kits mentioned. If you don't seal this properly, then moisture will get in behind the render and freeze it off in winter. The same applies to brick and block if the ingress is bad enough.

Is the house rendered ? If so, then you need to ensure that the duct is sealed to the render which may not be the case with the kits mentioned. If you don't seal this properly, then moisture will get in behind the render and freeze it off in winter. The same applies to brick and block if the ingress is bad enough.
Hi S,
Good point, but, no it is brick, and I'll try to get a bead of silicon inside the brickwork, where it meets.
Thanks, C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back