Shower Ceiling Pull Switch Help

TGP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, the ceiling pull cord switch for my shower has broken and a replacement is on its way. However in the meantime I am just going to create a temporary switch till the replacement has been fitted.

Here are pictures of the switch internals:

http://s9.postimg.org/cxxg1p2q7/111.jpg

111.jpg

As you can see, there are 6 wires, my question is - which 2 wires does the switch connect in order to send power to the shower? As I said, I am going to create a temporary switch by connecting these 2 wires until the replacement switch unit has been fitted.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
which 2 wires does the switch connect in order to send power to the shower?

It's a double pole switch

As I said, I am going to create a temporary switch by connecting these 2 wires
How does connecting conductors together make a switch?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Those cables look a mess - should be checked.

You don't have a clue what you're doing, and as far as I can see are proposing to do something dangerous which won't work anyway.

Please get an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the couple of helpful answers :) Don't worry there is an electrician coming on Friday to fit a new switch however I was just hoping there would be a way in which I could create a temporary connection in order to be able to use the shower once or twice whilst I'm waiting for the repair (I don't have a bath so things could get very smelly haha).

Would anyone be able to tell me if this would be possible and what would need to be connected to send power to the shower unit?

Thank you

I was just hoping there would be a way in which I could create a temporary connection in order to be able to use the shower once or twice whilst I'm waiting for the repair (I don't have a bath so things could get very smelly haha). ... Would anyone be able to tell me if this would be possible and what would need to be connected to send power to the shower unit?
It would be easy to do, but (a) you then would not have an easy way to disconnect the electricity if the shower burst into flames (extremely unlikely, so perhaps not something you'd be worried about!!) and (b) people are concerned that if you need to ask the question, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Someone with a good flak jacket might tell you what to do!

Kind Regards, John

I was going to create an external switch, (for example) if it was as easy as connecting 'terminal A' to 'terminal B', I would run a wire from terminal A, to a switch, to terminal B.

Like I said this is far from permanent as the whole unit is being replaced professionally on Friday however in the meantime I'm sure there would be an easy temporary fix to save me pestering my friends every time I need a shower. Any help appreciated!

Just to make sure -

We can see that the switch ceiling box is broken.

Is the actual switch stuck in the off position?

If you were to connect the two black wires together in one terminal block, connect the two reds together in another terminal and the two earths ( green ) together in a third terminal block the shower would probable have a supply.

But you would have created a dangerous situation as those cable ends look badly damaged and possibly too badly damaged to be safely re-connected in any way

A bit of body odour, reduced by careful use of soap and hot water from a kettle ( used kettle outside the shower room ) would be far less un-pleasant than the smell of burning cable and smouldering ceiling timbers

There really isn't a safe way to temporarily join the wires without the use of the proper parts.

If you are willing and able to temporarily connect it, can you not nip down to the local youknowwhere tomorrow and buy a new switch?

One concern is the lack of insulation on the red wires.

Let's hope there is some slack in the cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back