wiring of double dimmer switch

Have you done this yet?

EFLImpudence wrote:
See here
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:lighting_circuit_layouts
and understand how it works.

yes I am trying to understand it. I see there are 3 methods: Traditional "loop-in" ceiling rose wiring, aka "3-plate",
Looping through junction boxes,
and looping at switches.
How can I find out which we have here?
I guess its not the looping at switches as there would be 3 cables into the switch box wouldn't there?

If I wanted to check for continuity between the light fixtures and the switch, should that be possible? I understand there may be parts of the circuit which may effectively give me a reading of continuity but it might not be between the parts I want to check.

Sponsored Links
How can I find out which we have here?

A_Sign_with_Big_Eyes_and_the_Word_Look_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_110309-145408-042053.jpg

Which rooms or areas are they in?

I'm just trying to work out if there could possibly be a hidden switch you know nothing about or have forgotten about.

Don't laugh: I spent all day once at a customer's house tracing an open circuit fault on the lighting - I went round ripping up carpets and floorboards and eventually found a switch drop in a front room that turned the whole circuit off (don't ask me). The switch was hidden behind a wall hanging, so the chap had forgotten it was ever there, but a cleaner had found it and turned it off. Result: no lights!

Mind you, that still doesn't explain no power at the switch.

Or for that matter, the presence of the link wire.

So many riddles!

Sponsored Links
Which rooms or areas are they in?

I'm just trying to work out if there could possibly be a hidden switch you know nothing about or have forgotten about.

Don't laugh: I spent all day once at a customer's house tracing an open circuit fault on the lighting - I went round ripping up carpets and floorboards and eventually found a switch drop in a front room that turned the whole circuit off (don't ask me). The switch was hidden behind a wall hanging, so the chap had forgotten it was ever there, but a cleaner had found it and turned it off. Result: no lights!

Mind you, that still doesn't explain no power at the switch.

Or for that matter, the presence of the link wire.

So many riddles!

No definatly no other switches involved I can say for sure.
I have connected the wires back to the way they were before so we have 1 set of lights working at least. as per the first picture.
Can you advise if there is anything I can test with my multimeter to narrow down the problem?

Yes I have another double switch I will try with it tomorrow.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes the two switches operate 2 circuits independantly. Is it called a ring not circuit though? . There are 2 lights on 1 ring. and 3 on the other.
We have redesigned/decorated and have decided to loose 2 lights, 1 from each ring. The wire was cut off and covered with tape.

If you have removed lights that is probably where the problem is. can you reconnect the wires at the lights?

So you've reconnected them like this?

And one light (or set of lights) is now working?

If it were me, I 'd try 2 things. Gutterball's suggestion. Check you have not broken the circuit.

If you have, remake it, then reconnect the switching using red and black for each side.

Then I'd try my theory, but then I'd also megger the cables to make sure there's no shorts before I did it. As you don't have such equipment, you need to employ someone who has I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back