shower connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have 10mm cable installed for 9.5k shower.Cu is currently full with 6 cartridge fuses.Have a shower consumer unit with mcb-rcd protection.Intending pulling the water heater outlet and using for shower cu connection with suitable plug in mcb and adding extra mcb in shower cu(room for one more)for water heater.Sound like best route ??

Sponsored Links
No, your CU is most likely not designed to handle circuits of over 32A, that shower CU is designed to be henleyed into the tails, this is what I suggest you do :)

oh and I hope you notified LABC of your work before starting ;)

Thought the cu would be okay as its rated at 80amp? and not exactly ancient. Thanks for yr reply

I honestly don't know with it being 80A, i've never seen anything other than 60A or 100A, and I'm sure the 6 way ones were 60A

I'm asumming its a wylex standard board as they were almost universal, is this correct or not?

Also, just noticed you want to stick the water heater on this 'submain' as well its a none starter, you'll be looking at at least a 50A MCB (and thats if you break the rules a little) for the submain, most likely a 63A, which you certainly won't get for that board.

(making use of both tabled and common sense forms of diversity, its not hard to igmagine that there might be times when both the shower and the water heater are on together)

Split the tails, and have the job done properly, end of story :)

Sponsored Links
The cu is a Mamera rated at 80 Amps,and the water heater (imersion) i'm not sure of its rating but probably no more than 3kw and presently on a 15amp fuse.....

Do you plan to keep on asking until someone gives you an answer which is not "supply the shower CU via split tails"?

If so, I'll pop back later and see how you're getting on...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back