Shower Cubicle Extractor With Light - Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken out an old electrical power shower and replaced it with a gravity fed unit. Can I used the electrics for the old power shower to run a cubicle extractor with light? I don't want one with a timer. There is an existing extractor through the external wall. Just want to pull the cord before getting into the shower to turn on the light and extractor and turn off again after.

Very grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can terminate the old shower feed onto a fused spur and put in a 3A fuse.
Then you'd need a switch in the bathroom to turn the fan/light on and off.

But why not run the fan from the lighting circuit?

PS Don't forget that all electrical worrk in a bathroom is notifiable AND you'll need to RCD protect that circuit.

As its a little job maybe it would be better to get a registered electrician to do it for you. It would be cheaper than paying the council £100+?
Get a registered spark at www.competentperson.co.uk

Thanks for the quick reply.

The bathroom is used for other things other than the shower and there is already a fan in the wall running at the same time as the light.

As I have the ceiling mounted pull cord switch from the old power shower I thought I could use this when I wanted to use the shower.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Err yes you can but the fuse that you have in your fuseboard on that old shower circuit will be way too big for the light/fan combo. You'll only use weedy small cable for the fan etc and it will fry if there is a fault. Also the manufactureer of the fan/light will have specified (probably) a 3 amp fuse for it?

You would need to change the shower CPD for a 6amp breaker/5amp fuse or fit an FCU with a 3amp fuse in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back