Shower cubicle light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My sister's shower cubicle light has lasted 25 years but has now died. I've never seen this fitting before so I'm hoping someone can tell me the correct way to change the bulb. I've tried turning the rim just above the glass but there's no immediate 'give' and I don't want to force it.
There are multiple screws going into the ceiling (should it be necessary to take the whole thing off) but I've also highlighted a single screw on the side of the fitting - no idea what that's for...

All guidance gratefully accepted. Thanks!
light.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I may be wrong, but I would have a go at removing that grub screw, and then try twisting off the cylindrical enclosure.

Good luck! :)

...although many may consider replacing the whole fitting! ;)

Thanks, RG. The removal of the grub screws (there are 2) lets me pull the whole unit out, exposing the wiring. To get to the bulb must surely be by twisting the rim around the glass. Would a loosener such as WD40 help does anyone think (the unit is plastic, not metal)?

Thanks, RG. The removal of the grub screws (there are 2) lets me pull the whole unit out, exposing the wiring. To get to the bulb must surely be by twisting the rim around the glass. Would a loosener such as WD40 help does anyone think (the unit is plastic, not metal)?

So, with the grub screws removed the cylinder comes down and the ring stays on the ceiling? In that case, then yes the front must come off! :)

It may sound extreme, but if there is a connector block where the wires are exposed, it may be simpler to take the whole fitting down and play with it at your convenience!

Some WD40 (although not a penetrating oil) and some (very) gentle heat from a hair dryer, could help you unscrew the rim?

Sponsored Links
Sorted. The WD40 loosened it. Not an anticlockwise screw as I was expecting (like a jam jar) but a clockwise 2cm turn then pull down.
Thanks, RG.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back