Shower doesn’t start until I open a tap

Sponsored Links
Does the pump kick in when you open a tap ?
Once water does run out the shower does the pump kick in ??
You may have an air lock in the pipework . If you release the shower valve from the hot and cold supply pipes ,does water flow freely from both pipes ?
Yeah the pump kicks in for the hot water only when usingb the taps. Once the water is running in the shower it flows freely. And once the water starts to flow in the shower the pump kicks in.

I think the new shower is a negative head shower. The pump only kicks in when the water flows in the shower and this is after I turn on the sink tap

Hi Terry, I have a similar problem to this. I have a new shower and the filters are not blocked. There is a pump fitted for to pump the water from the tank. When I turn on the water valve on the shower, no water comes out. However if I switch on the tap in the sink the water then comes out of the shower. Sometimes if I put the shower head closer to the floor the water in the shower does come out. Any ideas how to resolve this issue without getting a new water pump? Thanks, Jim
Sounds like your problem is there isn't enough head of water to activate the pump's flow switch, as suggested, when you run the tap, the flow increases kick starting the pump. What type of shower is it? Is it a modern bar shower as most are designed for combi's/mains pressure?

You could increase the flow to the shower, be it increase the pipe size or raise the cold water cistern etc. The other is to put in a remote pull switch wired to the pump's power. When you turn on the shower then turn on the pump, the intital kick start of the pump will supply enough flow for the switches to activate, as long as the shower is on then the pump will run, once off you need to turn off the power to the pump, then repeat the next time.

Can you post a pic of the pump then we can see if it is a universal pump or not.

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• 20220628_105526.jpg
    20220628_105526.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 49
OK so you have a standard pump (ST monsoon .... good shower BTW) and a bar shower that needs at least 0.5bar to work.

Unless you cold water cistern is at least 5m above the head of the shower then there probably won't be enough water pressure to overcome the restrictions in the shower and therefore not enough flow to activate the pump. I'd also check the filters and switches in the pump as it looks like it's been there a while and they may need serviced.

Great thanks. There's no way to have the cistern 5m above the shower as we are in a bungalow.

So the only way to fix it is to get a new pump?

Or fit a low pressure shower so the flow is inreased or make the pump switched. The latter is probably the cheapest and easiest way.

Will probably look at installing a switch. Might have it linked to the extractor fan. Thanks!

I think the new shower is a negative head shower. The pump only kicks in when the water flows in the shower and this is after I turn on the s
Wonder could a small pressure vessel like a expansion vessel be installed if a tapping point was available between the pump hot discharge NRV and the flow switch, it might give the - 1LPM required to start the pump but the pressure would probably decay if the pump was stopped for any extended length of time like overnight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back