Shower doesn’t start until I open a tap

I suspect your non return valves are sticking ,and possibly shower filters partially blocked.

Sponsored Links
I suspect your non return valves are sticking ,and possibly shower filters partially blocked.
Is the non return valve and filter in the mixer barrel ? Is it a matter of fixing or replacing the non return valve?

Is the non return valve and filter in the mixer barrel ? Is it a matter of fixing or replacing the non return valve?
They are within the shower, usually where the supply pipes connect to the valve. Stripping,servicing required .
Show us a pic of the shower valve.

They are within the shower, usually where the supply pipes connect to the valve. Stripping,servicing required .
Show us a pic of the shower valve.
The supply pipes are behind the wall but poke out enough to attach the mixer shower barrel

Attachments

• IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
Thanks. See the large, Chrome ,hexagonal nuts that hold the bar mixer to the wall / pipework ,the filters & NRV's are just inside where those nuts are.

Remove the shower head and let the hose hang down .Then run the shower and see if pump now starts.

Ok I took the head of the hand held shower attachment and lowered it to ground and no difference.

I will try and remove the mixer this evening and see if I can see the filters and NRV

Before taking the valve off the wall it would be prudent to have 2 replacement washers available ,as the existing ones may not re seal. 3/4 fibre, or rubber,hose washers are usually what are used.

Your hot water is gravity fed ,and pressure would be poor ,hence a pump has been fitted . There is insufficient water flow through the shower to trigger the pump . This could be the shower head itself ,or the flexible hose are too restrictive to flow. Remove the shower head and let the hose hang down .Then run the shower and see if pump now starts.
Hi Terry, I have a similar problem to this. I have a new shower and the filters are not blocked. There is a pump fitted for to pump the water from the tank. When I turn on the water valve on the shower, no water comes out. However if I switch on the tap in the sink the water then comes out of the shower. Sometimes if I put the shower head closer to the floor the water in the shower does come out. Any ideas how to resolve this issue without getting a new water pump? Thanks, Jim

What make/ model shower valve do you have ? Is it a new, complete , installation ,or just a new shower fitted to replace one that was working ok ?
Does the pump boost both hot and cold water to the shower ?

Does the pump kick in when you open a tap ?
Once water does run out the shower does the pump kick in ??
You may have an air lock in the pipework . If you release the shower valve from the hot and cold supply pipes ,does water flow freely from both pipes ?

Hi Terry, I have a similar problem to this. I have a new shower and the filters are not blocked. There is a pump fitted for to pump the water from the tank. When I turn on the water valve on the shower, no water comes out. However if I switch on the tap in the sink the water then comes out of the shower. Sometimes if I put the shower head closer to the floor the water in the shower does come out. Any ideas how to resolve this issue without getting a new water pump? Thanks, Jim
You probably need a negative head pump of if the new one is negative head, the pressure vessel may need pumping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back