Shower drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, sorry if this is not the correct forum.

I'd appreciate some help please, my shower is blocked and I've tried various unblocking methods like boiling water, chemicals etc and nothing has worked.

I cant get the drain piece out of the shower to get to unblock it.

Is there a special tool that I need? The shower hasnt any brand names on either, it's in a new build flat so it's about 3 years ago when it was installed.

I've attached a pic of it.

Thank you in advance if anyone can help.

Attachments

• 20220815_180857.jpg
    20220815_180857.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Correct forum, so no apology needed. If it’s a new build, the fall may be running back (known as a backfall). Is there any hair in the bottom of the trap?

Be very careful messing about with it if you've dumped chemicals down the pipe, they can still be nasty, even in a diluted condition. Skin and eye protection is a must before messing about with it now, (This is your last pair of eyes!). Any ideas where it runs to and/or if the outgoing pipework is accessible?

Sponsored Links
No tool needed, those notches are there to help initial assembly, and probably locate the grille thingy.
Agree try a wet vac, agree it's probably hair.
If it empties slowly, keep adding hot hot water to flush out whatever's been used. Then it's one of the heavy duty gel unblockers, or nasty horrible gloves and face protection type acid drain unblocker.

Reactions: CBW
Correct forum, so no apology needed. If it’s a new build, the fall may be running back (known as a backfall). Is there any hair in the bottom of the trap?
I cant feel the bottom of the trap as I cant get my fingers far enough down. I thought if i could get the piece off shown in the photo then I'd be able to clean it properly but cant get it off.

I've tried hot water as well and it just wont budge.

Be very careful messing about with it if you've dumped chemicals down the pipe, they can still be nasty, even in a diluted condition. Skin and eye protection is a must before messing about with it now, (This is your last pair of eyes!). Any ideas where it runs to and/or if the outgoing pipework is accessible?
I'll be careful, theres a chamber like plastic thing that it runs to under the shower tray and the waste pipe runs off that, it's all so close to the shower tray and floor that I cant really see much else.

No tool needed, those notches are there to help initial assembly, and probably locate the grille thingy.
Agree try a wet vac, agree it's probably hair.
If it empties slowly, keep adding hot hot water to flush out whatever's been used. Then it's one of the heavy duty gel unblockers, or nasty horrible gloves and face protection type acid drain unblocker.
I will try that, just would have been easier if that had come off so I could get my fingers down there to pull out whatever is stuck in there

Blockage could be further down the pipe, particularly if it doesn't have a very good fall on it, gunge builds up and eventually blocks it.
Dont waste your money on Chemicals, you may well find they melt the pipe before the blockage. The best method is always a mechanical clean.

I'd try firstly, filling the tray up with as much water as you dare, then use a decent quality plunger to try and force the blockage through. Failing that, a Wet Vac might be your best option, Wickes do a reasonable quality wet vac for £46, which should do what you require. Either way, Eye/Face/skin Protection is a must.

If it is hair, try a rigid bit of wire with the end bent over. That said, the vac option is better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back