Shower enclosure poor fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys wonder if someone could help me. I had plumber come in today to fit a quadrant shower and with wall panels. I should have checked and so should he but the walles are really uneven we are talking an inch maybe more. This is the outcome in the attached photo. Plumber has left it like this and now the board is half off the wall the enclosure not even fitted to the wall due to the gap being this big. Can someone help or recommend how to sort this out? People have suggested batton fittings and even expanding foam.

Attachments

• 16624100021607739530272107258424.jpg
    16624100021607739530272107258424.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 16624100343838088046190078987277.jpg
    16624100343838088046190078987277.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 16624100452265570495228974786403.jpg
    16624100452265570495228974786403.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
Hi Richie9.
I would not be happy with that installation.
I'm not mate really not happy. I understand the walls need to be straight for wall boards however i wasn't aware it wasn't straight and he should have definitely checked. He seems to think it is a simple solution with battens or fill the gaps with expanding foam

I wouldn’t recommend expanding foam, as it can be difficult to work with. Battens might work better.

Sponsored Links
It should've been simple enough to use battens and fix the unit correctly. Treat the fitter to a choice word or two and get it done as should be. Expanding foam is only for filling holes, like the space in-between his ears.

He was up against the wall a bit I suppose. No doubt you asked him for a quote. He allowed a day.
There’s nothing wrong with foam in this situation although he’s not been very generous with it and a few battens slid in the back of those boards would be easy enough to do.
Poor photos so cannot comment on cubicle fit or interior finish.
Get your hand in your pocket and ask him to return and beef up the support.
Some expanding foams can be used as a panel adhesive. Read the label.

That needs to come back out and be done properly.

I cant see how a fix in-situ is going to work and provide a reliable panel that won't flex if someone leans on it (which they will) if they flex it won't remain water tight.

Some better photos might help us better. Looks like he didn't even take the panels to the ceiling? Why? Do you have high ceilings where an 8ft panel would be too short?

Do the panels go behind the tray as well? Can't really see properly but they should sit on the tray not behind it.

That needs to come back out and be done properly.

I cant see how a fix in-situ is going to work and provide a reliable panel that won't flex if someone leans on it (which they will) if they flex it won't remain water tight.

Some better photos might help us better. Looks like he didn't even take the panels to the ceiling? Why? Do you have high ceilings where an 8ft panel would be too short?
Hi guys yes the panel is only 2.4 metres wheres as the ceiling is about 2.5. Therefore that is why the panel is short. Here are more photos. The panels do not come to the floor they were cuton one side to support to the floor.

Attachments

• 16624712199609143024906167180453.jpg
    16624712199609143024906167180453.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 80
As suggested, that cant be fixed like that, it all needs to come out and the walls re- sheeted first to make it true. Anything else isn't going to last with that size of gap at the back of the wet board.

As suggested, that cant be fixed like that, it all needs to come out and the walls re- sheeted first to make it true. Anything else isn't going to last with that size of gap at the back of the wet board.
I totally agree it isn't going to last due to that gap at the back. He has been a good plumber to me but he didn't even check if the walls were true hence we now have this issue

I totally agree it isn't going to last due to that gap at the back. He has been a good plumber to me but he didn't even check if the walls were true hence we now have this issue
Sorry but no professional should have carried on installing that when it became obvious it was a mile out. First thing you do is put a level on the wall to check and then tray before anything goes up.

If he was at all conscientious he would be coming back to sort it but as suggested it shouldn't even have gone up like that in the first place.

Reactions: CBW
Sorry but no professional should have carried on installing that when it became obvious it was a mile out. First thing you do is put a level on the wall to check and then tray before anything goes up.

If he was at all conscientious he would be coming back to sort it but as suggested it shouldn't even have gone up like that in the first place.
Yes the floor is level and the tray went in well in fairness. However I agree I didn't notice the wall was out but u should have checked. More so him as I know nothing about putting wall panels up and I don't do them for a living like him.

He is coming back tomorrow with wood but not sure what he is trying to achieve as for me we are far gone from salvaging that panel I think and having a decent shower.

Careful he doesn't just use a baton to fit into that end, all that will do is firm up the edge, it will still have a huge void at the back of the panel. The panel needs to be flat against the wall therefore the only way to do it properly is the whole wall needs straightened, outherwise it will never look right.

That panel has been so badly fitted and with so little adhesive that i can see, it might be salvageable by gently prying it back off again.

Personally, I would have made good the walls above the panels first as well as they're a bit of a mess and will be more difficult to get a good finish after the panels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back