Shower Fan not controlled by light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to have my shower fan to be controlled by the shower rather than the light as I do tend to take showers during daylight hours.

I know I cannot control the fan directly from the shower circuit but I'm sure I've seen on here methods to utilise the shower circuits powering up to kick in a fan. Alternatively I'll go for a separately controlled humidistat fan. On that basis, which would be the best humidity controlled fan (in your opinion) to get? Wall/ceiling mounted fan or in line doesn't bother me, just a decent make without breaking the bank. Bathroom is approx 2m W x 2.5m L, a brick vent is in the top left of this rectangle, door is on the bottom left, shower will be above bath on the bottom right with space behind in old airing cupboard to run venting if needed, which will most likely be of the flat conduit type then to flexi once in loft.

While at it, our bath has quite a long "sloping back" to it. Are there such things as extended stand-offs to hold the shower riser rail?

Sponsored Links
There are flow switches and current sensing switches.

I don't think humidistat fans work that well.
The country is very humid - 94% here at the moment so if you draw that in ...

Never seen an 'extended stand off' but it's just piece of tubing.

Sponsored Links
While at it, our bath has quite a long "sloping back" to it. Are there such things as extended stand-offs to hold the shower riser rail?
Never come across one, but I had a similar problem to solve and went for through the ceiling shower rose, but did it at the design stage, whether it is possible to retro fit, would depend on what you can do with your set up.
It could be possible to have chrome mounted pipes, up and across ceiling then drop a rose from a suitable position.

Never come across one, but I had a similar problem to solve and went for through the ceiling shower rose, but did it at the design stage, whether it is possible to retro fit, would depend on what you can do with your set up.
It could be possible to have chrome mounted pipes, up and across ceiling then drop a rose from a suitable position.

Aah, perhaps I should of explained, this is a WIP operation. I've yet to get the tiles on the wall!!

If it was a shower supplied with hot and cold water then a thermal switch on the hot water pipe would provide good control of the fan if it is only to run during a shower with an over run when the shower is finished. The over run will continue until the supply pipe cools down so a timer in the fan is not needed.

I have thought of using a bulb and capillary type attached to the waste pipe for controlling a fan where there is an electric heated shower.

http://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/thermostats/7334723/

Never seen an 'extended stand off' but it's just piece of tubing.

I have a humidistat fan and it's brilliant. I fitted it as I wanted the full automation and doesn't run on too long once the room is clear. I've got mine set low and it ran for a while longer to begin with, but once latent humidity was gone it's made all the difference.

Alternatively there are PIR fans.

TBH I'm not over impressed with humidistat ones because... well, just because! I'll have to look into flow switches, it is an electric shower so cold only supply. Would they work on that (Doh!! I guess so!!).

Aah, perhaps I should of explained, this is a WIP operation. I've yet to get the tiles on the wall!!

Well you have options then. you could remove the flex connection of the shower and go down the route of piping the shower head up and mounting either through ceiling or with a rigid extended arm.
The pipes could be routed behind tiles(if the wall contains lime, copper pipe must be protected or run plastic) or surface mounted in chrome coated pipe and fittings, if chrome's your thing.

TBH I'm not over impressed with humidistat ones because... well, just because! I'll have to look into flow switches, it is an electric shower so cold only supply. Would they work on that (Doh!! I guess so!!).

I have this http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/flow-sensors-switches-indicators/0256578/ on mine in the 22mm hot water to the shower, mines a thermostatic off the combi, you can get a 15mm version also, and would work equally well on the cold water feed to the electric shower you have. It controls an inline fan in the roofspace which has a built in adjustable run-on timer. The switched live to the fan goes thru the normally open contact on the flowswitch......job done, works a treat :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back