Shower Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There.

I have been advised by the plumber who is going to fit my bathroom that the council (We just bought the house) have removed the wiring from the previous shower. Checking the fusebox, the shower socket now has spare written over it. My question is will i use 4mm² cable since the distance is about 15 feet from the main fusebox to the attic. Once there with the cable, it will be attatched to a 45amp pull switch and the cable to the shower will be fed from the push switch (Is that correct ?)

Neil

Sponsored Links
If you are planning on installing a mdoern shower, you can forget about 4mm² cable, you should be pulling in 10mm² if only to allow for future expansion.

And you'll not be wanting to install it from that fuseboard....

No :eek: Use 10mm as you may wish to upgrade at a later date. 6mm may do tho you never stated what size of shower you wished to install. The cable will leave your consumer unit (You may want to fit a 30ma RCD unit unless you have a split Consumer unit with an RCD side to it) and go to the pull cord and then from pullcord to your shower.
Hope this helps.

So where would i ideally set the main wiring up from if not from the fusebox ?

It will be a 9.5kw shower (Creda)

Neil

Sponsored Links
It will come from the CU, just not that one ;)

Ideally the shower circuit will be RCD protected, though this is not yet a requirement, unless its mandated in the shower installation instructions, and chances are your fuseboard can't handle circuits over 30A, however there were exceptions, some fuseboards had a fuseholder separate from all the rest rated at 45A and also the larger boards (more than 6 fuses could take bigger circuits), easiest way to tell is to look at the rateing on the switch on it... 60A = no circuits >30A , sometimes people do force in 45A breakers, but they sit sideways slightly as they force round the parts that are supposed to stop the fitting of such devices :LOL: (but this would be a firerisk... the board was never designed to handle these)

Options are to have the fuseboard replaced with something more modern, ot to split the tails and install a small modern board just for the shower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back