Shower Fixing Brackets/Plates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a Grohe thermostatic bar shower valve that I will be fitting into a stud wall. I'm getting conflicting advice regarding using shower fixing brackets/plates - or not!

Any opinions about the best way to fit a shower into a stud wall. I'm not too worried about the cost, I just want to get it right 1st time. Any links to pictures/products would be greatly appreciated.

I'm about to start refurbing our bathroom in the next few weeks, so I may have more questions!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you prepared to strip the wall off. Assuming you are, then you either need the screwfix plate above, or a shower PL8
. You'd fit a nogin where the thermostatic bar is going to go, but it needs to be set back to give space for the plate. With the PL8, it allows you to set up your pipes in the wall, then fit the wall, and then finally assemble the thermostatic bar.

Thanks so much for that.

Yes, I'll be removing the plasterboard so these both look perfect, but I think the Shower PL8 is ideal for me.

I've had a look at reviews of the product and the only concern raised is that the thermostatic bar is effectively being supported by the copper pipe and problems could occur if weight was applied to the bar. This comment could be aimed at commercial applications where the general public could be swinging off the bar?!

Should I worry?

Sponsored Links
Shower PL8 every time.
Great product; great name - it "registers" the pipes for the bar and is why it was invented (y)

Well spotted Bcf, but it's more of a technicality, than an actual problem. The PL8 is secured to the noggin, and then there's 2 short stubs of pipework, which should be fairly resilient; as long as you're holes for the pipes aren't too large, then there shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks all - I've ordered the PL8.

I'll post results in a few weeks. Keep an eye out for more related questions!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back