Shower from condensing boiler advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all.
For years I've wanted a power shower but not had a separate tank.
Now, my neighbour has had 2 quotes to have - not a power shower - but one of those big overhead fittings running off his boiler.
I got a bit excited cos I could do that with mine, I thought.
But I wondered about the claims the salesmen made.

They said -

Mains water delivers 5ltr per minute, but the shower will deliver 12ltr per minute from the boiler, giving a more powerful spray from the much larger head.

Turning on taps won't make the shower temperature go hotter/colder.

Is this true?
I can't understand how a shower can give out more litres than the boiler is taking in.
And if a tap is turned on surely that affects the pressure to the boiler/shower, making it hotter/colder?

I'm hoping they are right, because I'm having one of these if it is!

Thanks.

John

Sponsored Links
Typical salesmen promises the world and the person who then suffers will be the fitter who will set you straight when arriving to do the work. Where you will vent your frustration at them.

no salesman is talking shoite, 5L/min incoming seems very low , wait till your neighbor gets it done and see if it works, got a feeling the flow rate is being measured at the wrong place

Sponsored Links
The salesmen didn't check the flow, they were just speaking in general.

So, you reckon the shower won't give out more pressure that it's taking in from mains, and the flow will drop when a tap is opened.

Thanks for that. I'll pass the info on to my neighbour and let him decide.
I may just stick with my electric shower.

Regards,

John

Are you sure that your neighbor hastnt got mixed up by what the salesman actually said ? are you sure he didnt say that the existing electric shower supplies 5L/min and a new mixer shower connected to the combi boiler will give 12L/min. that makes more sense and would be correct.

ianmcd, you may have hit the nail on the head there.
I just checked Northumbrian Water site and they say we should get 9L min from a downstairs tap.
And you're saying the shower throttles it back to 5L min.
And, you reckon the flow from the boiler should be 12L min at the shower head.
I still don't understand how you can put 9L min into the boiler and get 12L min out?

It seems there's a difference of opinion in this topic as to what flows can be expected?
I reckon my best bet is to say nothing to my neighbour and let him go with the quotes.
I'd hate to put him off and be wrong.
I'd hate to put him 'on' and be wrong as well.
But, thank you to all, as always, for your comments and suggestions.

Regards,

John

What you "should" get and what you actually get are totally different things. You need to measure your incoming flow rate as that I'd what you will get out of the shower

5ltr a min flow rate on mains? Hot or cold? You would know if it was that low. Your probably looking at 15litre a min cold mains minimum on most uk homes that are connected to the water mains

On a 24kw combi your looking at about 10ltr a min hot water

On 28kw combi ur looking at about 12-14 litre a min at around 45c temp

Have you still got the boiler imstallation manual? Check the page the engineer filled out. It will have a section which says "flow rates". What has the engineer put in there?or take a pic of page and post it up after crossing out your address and engineer details

5 litres a minute seems awfully slow. I’m just visualising a 5 litre oil can and waiting one whole minute to fill it from the tap.

ianmcd, you may have hit the nail on the head there.
I just checked Northumbrian Water site and they say we should get 9L min from a downstairs tap.
And you're saying the shower throttles it back to 5L min.
And, you reckon the flow from the boiler should be 12L min at the shower head.
I still don't understand how you can put 9L min into the boiler and get 12L min out?

It seems there's a difference of opinion in this topic as to what flows can be expected?
I reckon my best bet is to say nothing to my neighbour and let him go with the quotes.
I'd hate to put him off and be wrong.
I'd hate to put him 'on' and be wrong as well.
But, thank you to all, as always, for your comments and suggestions.

Regards,

John

@Johnboy54 it's quite simple to carry out some tests. You just need a litre measuring jug and a stopwatch. Test at your kitchen hot and cold tap and at your bathroom taps and at your electric shower.

If you're only getting 5 litres per minute flow (very unlikely) it would take 12 seconds to fill that 1 litre jug. 6 seconds would be 10 litres per minute. And so on. It's simply 60 ÷ time taken to fill 1 litre jug.

D.

Hi to all.
For years I've wanted a power shower but not had a separate tank.
Now, my neighbour has had 2 quotes to have - not a power shower - but one of those big overhead fittings running off his boiler.
I got a bit excited cos I could do that with mine, I thought.
But I wondered about the claims the salesmen made.

They said -

Mains water delivers 5ltr per minute, but the shower will deliver 12ltr per minute from the boiler, giving a more powerful spray from the much larger head.

Turning on taps won't make the shower temperature go hotter/colder.

Is this true?
I can't understand how a shower can give out more litres than the boiler is taking in.
And if a tap is turned on surely that affects the pressure to the boiler/shower, making it hotter/colder?

I'm hoping they are right, because I'm having one of these if it is!

Thanks.

John
If you want one, get one. You won’t be disappointed. Assuming you have a combi.
Doom mongers everywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back