Shower / Hair rinse regs for distance from toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im looking for some help please.
Either a quote from the regs or better still a link to what the regs actually say please.

New build and we paid for a hair rinse / shower thingy that is sunk into the top of the bath and pulls out of the top of bath like a shower head to wash hair while in bath.

The problem, it only has around 2 feet of hose on it so renders it useless really. Apparently it cant be any longer as it has to finish 18" short of the toilet pan so that it cant possibly touch the toilet. I have been told this is a reg ?

I can understand if it was longer to drop it in the actual toilet , but then should it be fitted with a none return valve like a garden tap?

Any input on this please? can the hose be longer so it can be used for what was planned?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
It has to be clear of any CAT5 fluid to avoid cross backflow contamination but I don't believe that 18" is a given distance, my interpretation would be as long as the shower head cannot reach the WC. I assume the bathroom is mains fed water?

I'd also want to be checking that the CAT3 fluid backflow from the bath has been provided for with at least a double check valve?

Check page 2.

https://www.wras.co.uk/downloads/pu...flow_in_the_design_of_domestic_bathrooms.pdf/

Thankyou for the replies.

Yep i fully understand it not being long enough for it to actually be able to go inside the toilet bowl itself where it could back draw. But it finishes a fair distance away from toilet.

I will get a picture tomorrow when im back on site.

Can it not even touch the toilet seat? or just not allowed to actually drop in the bowl and come in contact with the waste water? so if i was to pull it fully out could it touch the toilet seat but not touch water would that mean its o.k ?

Sponsored Links
Relooking at diagram i think i can answer that myself, so clear of over fill , so technically it can just about touch seat - 2-3mm ?

For maximum prevention, I'd have it well clear of the seat, 20-30mm.

As suggested though, has the much more likely CAT3 risk also been catered for?

Take a look at the diagram and you'll see that no part of the hose or head is permitted beyond the dotted circle marking the boundary of fluid category 5 - an air gap AUK3 is provided by the distance between the head and the rim (overspill) level of the WC pan

Technically "shall not be less than 20mm or twice the diameter of the of the inlet pipe to the fitting whichever is the greater"

All assuming that your shower is mains fed

https://www.wras.co.uk/consumers/resources/interpretations_and_advice/backflow_prevention/b20/

Hi, CAT3 risk ? No idea. Its a new build and they said they cant lengthen the shower bit . They did say as its been signed off i can do what i want personally. (the pipe is wrapped around bath leg so will be easy to to unwrap and make longer. But if its regs i want to stick to regs. Not change something so it no longer passes. Regs are there for a reason. Over kill most of the time but i fully understand that the regs are here to protect us from stupid people.

Just stick a longer hose on the blooming thing and be done with it.

Obviously the original installers hands are tied and quite rightly so, but as the householder just dont bidet your ass with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back