Shower installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just replaced my mixer shower for a new model but when i was installing it i noticed that the cold water source is gravity fed from the water tank.This must reduce the overall pressure to the shower as i've found out to my cost as the new shower is all but useless. Is it normal for a mixer shower to be gravity fed and can i change the source to mains to increase the pressure? The new Triton shower also has additional jets so i imagine i'll probably need a pump anyway. I didnt seem to have a pressure issue from the original shower.
Any help would gratefully be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Fit a twin impellor booster pump. This will boost hot and cold pressures to shower. You may have to increase size of cold tank in loft though to cope with demand.

Why does it have to be gravity fed, can i not come straight off the mains?

You need to have balanced hot and cold supplies. Cold mains is ok if you have a combi or mains unvented cylinder, but a shower pump cannot work off mains pressure, thats why both hot and cold need to be fed from the same head of water.

Sponsored Links
If your previous shower came off the same supply and worked better, check that you have a big shower head with big holes, as before.

And that you have not bought an inferior Italian shower mixer intended for high-pressure supplies.

Thanks for the quick replies. The problem i have now is the hot supply is inaccessible to me, either behind tiles or under floor.Does it have to be a hot/cold pump?

You can get a single impeller pump but it will not balance with the hot supply.
Can you not get to the hot supply next to your hwc?
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back