Shower is just for decoration!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my partner and I thought we could fit a new shower ourselves... turns out we couldn't! Much like IKEA furniture, we put it together and it looks fine - but it doesn't actually work. A bit of a dribble comes out, and truth be told we have never had the best water pressure.

I'm thinking a good shower pump could really help, rather than ripping everything out and starting again. But I really want to get this part right and there's so many different pumps - can anyone help? I have a stop tap before the combination boiler, and I've heard these are a top choice of plumbers: http://www.bellabathrooms.co.uk/showers/shower-pumps/stuart-turner-pumps.html

But you never know who to trust?
Thanks for your help in advance :)

Sponsored Links
What sort of shower did you fit? Mixer? Electric? Power shower ( pumped )

What boiler has you got?

Daniel.

If you've really got a combination boiler:

a. You can't use a pump because you are not allowed to pump the mains cold water supply.

b: If the pressure is poor, at all outlets, you could:

i. Replace the combi and install a tank based system with a pump for the hot and cold.

ii. See if you can get the mains upgraded to give you a better pressure.

If you've really got a combination boiler:

a. You can't use a pump because you are not allowed to pump the mains cold water supply.

Not strictly true, you can fit a pump on the mains that will give you 12lpm, more than enough for most combis.

Sponsored Links
If its a thermostatic mixer, have you got the hot and cold supplies the right way round?

Thanks guys - the pressure is poor everywhere so I'm going to see about an upgrade. If not then I'll try a mains pump up to 12lpm.

Before rushing out to buy a mains pump, measure your mains flow rate. If it's already over 12lpm then a pump will be pointless and may even make the problem worse

Before rushing out to buy a mains pump, measure your mains flow rate. If it's already over 12lpm then a pump will be pointless and may even make the problem worse

Why is that ? the op could have 12 lpm @ 1/2 a bar which would be hopeless for a shower, a mains pump could give him 12 lpm @ 1.5 bar, a big difference for a shower.

Why is that ? the op could have 12 lpm @ 1/2 a bar which would be hopeless for a shower, a mains pump could give him 12 lpm @ 1.5 bar, a big difference for a shower.

I'm not at all convinced that your physics stands up here...

I'm not at all convinced that your physics stands up here...

Pump puts energy into the fluid, that stands up pretty well?

Nozzle

You should have measured everything before you went and installed a new shower. It should be standard that you would check to make sure your system will be compatible, otherwise, what's the point in following the MI!

What shower did you install?
What's your flow rate and pressure?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back