Shower isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Duplicate thread, please find the other to make replies.
We went away for eight days and I turned off every electrical appliance apart from ...

If you have one of these
View attachment 276709
Did you think to turn that off too?

Reason I ask is a colleage went out on a job yesterday as the customer came home from their 3 week holiday to find water running in the shower. Their solution was to pull the cord and call electrician out. He arrived, pulled cord and water started running so reached in to turn the shower heaters knob to off but it was already off and turning through all positions only lit the high power light. Pulling the cord stopped water again. Luckily the water all went down the drain and not spill over the open cubicle.

By chance they had read their gas, electric and water meters a month before, water had gone up about 300m³ and electric about 3500KWh.

It seems the plastic switch moulding had broken.

I know we've had this discussion before but when will people remember to switch these things off when not in use? Isolators are there for a reason, not just for show.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's not the reason for the isolator though. They're only there for someone working on the system - not as a functional switch. That said, if I was going away on my holliers then personally I'd probably leave the electric shower isolator in the open position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back