Shower isolator.

Those 2 switches use a double socket size back box, hence 2 gang.
I'm not so sure about that "hence" :)

Anyway, thanks for explaining what was meant - and, yes, I agree that the bigger size may be an advantage (although, of course, some people might find that to be aesthetically inferior!).

However, I would hope you would agree that it's confusing and misleading to call it a "2-gang switch" - since that conventionally has a totally different (very well-established) meaning!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm not so sure about that "hence" :)

Anyway, thanks for explaining what was meant - and, yes, I agree that the bigger size may be an advantage (although, of course, some people might find that to be aesthetically inferior!).

However, I would hope you would agree that it's confusing and misleading to call it a "2-gang switch" - since that conventionally has a totally different (very well-established) meaning!

Kind Regards, John
Yes I do agree the terminology has gone to pot on this one but they have been called 2 gang back boxes for as long as I remember

Yes I do agree the terminology has gone to pot on this one but they have been called 2 gang back boxes for as long as I remember
True, and even that is a bit confusing, but we've come to understand what "2 gang back boxes" are. However, I don't think that in any way excuses using the term "2-gang switch" to refer to something that clearly is a 1-gang switch :)

Reversing that abomination of terminology, I have plenty of ('actually'!) 2-gang and 3-gang switches which fit onto a "1-gang back box" - should I perhaps call them all "1-gang" switches? :)

... and, perhaps most confusing of all, there are 3-gang (actual) switches which fit on a "2-gang" back box. Should I continue calling them "3-gang" (which they are), or should I perhaps call them "2-gang", by analogy with the shower isolators we're discussing? :)

Kind Regards, John

I don't think i've ever seen a regular single piece 3 gang lightswitch that used a 2 gang backbox. Whenever i've seen a 3 gang switch on a 2 gang backbox it's been a modular system.

Sponsored Links
I don't think i've ever seen a regular single piece 3 gang lightswitch that used a 2 gang backbox. Whenever i've seen a 3 gang switch on a 2 gang backbox it's been a modular system.
There are plenty out there - the first Google hit was this one from TLC, and to confuse the terminology even further, it's called "Twin Plate" (maybe to avoid called it a "2-gang 3-gang switch" :) )

1661052483862.png

Kind Regards, John

True, and even that is a bit confusing, but we've come to understand what "2 gang back boxes" are. However, I don't think that in any way excuses using the term "2-gang switch" to refer to something that clearly is a 1-gang switch :)

Reversing that abomination of terminology, I have plenty of ('actually'!) 2-gang and 3-gang switches which fit onto a "1-gang back box" - should I perhaps call them all "1-gang" switches? :)

... and, perhaps most confusing of all, there are 3-gang (actual) switches which fit on a "2-gang" back box. Should I continue calling them "3-gang" (which they are), or should I perhaps call them "2-gang", by analogy with the shower isolators we're discussing? :)

Kind Regards, John
I sympathise with every part of that but just like so many terms in use today they have developed over the years and become accepted as standard/correct. I believe the 2 gang switches came first (and probably started out even bigger) but in the early days would have just been called 'cooker switch' etc then the smaller size introduced and to differentiate between the two called 'single gang'. Hence the defaqto term '2 gang' came into use.

The 3 gang term has caused so many problems over the years with ordering, I personally have turned up on site with the wrong size accessory a couple of times. I tend to refer to them as large or wide or to really confirm '3 gang switch on a 2 gang plate.'
I've seen (and for that matter installed) such switches for stage lighting (typically red, yellow & blue flood lights etc) in 'village halls' type venues to match with their 4 gang switches.
Additionally of course the early 2 gang switches were on a 2 gang plate, think about the brass plate held in place with 2 locking rings around the dollies.

It's called language evolution - which I thought was admired by some.

It likely started off as a mistake and became common-place and impossible to correct.

I sympathise with every part of that but just like so many terms in use today they have developed over the years and become accepted as standard/correct.
I have to say that, in all the years/decades I've been looking at such things, I don't think I've ever noticed this before - hence the confudion I expressed in relation to the "2-gang shower isolator".
Additionally of course the early 2 gang switches were on a 2 gang plate, think about the brass plate held in place with 2 locking rings around the dollies.
Indeed - although there would obviously have been no confusion there, since they would have been "2-gang 2-gang switches"!

As I wrote (and illustrated) last night, the real problem today arises with 3-gang and 4-gang switches on 'double-sized' plates (of which there are countless around) - since, they would, with this daft terminology, be "2-gang 3-gang switches" or "2-gang 4-gang switches" were it not for some (like TLC) realising how daft that would be, and hence substituting "Twin Plate" for "2-gang" :)

Kind Regards, John

It's called language evolution - which I thought was admired by some. It likely started off as a mistake and became common-place and impossible to correct.
It is useful/beneficial (or, at least, 'neutral') evolution of language which some 'admire' (perhaps because they are happier speaking 20th/21st century English than they would be speaking Chaucer's or Beowolf's English).

However, it seems that some of the evolution of technical (and other) language we are talking about hasn't read any of the works of Darwin, since 'detrimental' changes ('mutations') should not really survive/persist. On the basis of 'survival of the fittest' (aka 'non-survival of the weakest') when 'mutations' of language ('mistakes') occur which are detrimental to clear and unambiguous communication (e.g. "2-gang", "lamp", "continuity", "transformer", "self-certifying" etc. etc.) they should not really persist and become established.

Kind Regards, John

I've got a vague feeling there were some 1960s MEM and MK ones that were a single piece 3 gang switch plate designed to fit on a 2 gang box...

I've got a vague feeling there were some 1960s MEM and MK ones that were a single piece 3 gang switch plate designed to fit on a 2 gang box...
As I wrote (and illustrated) last night, one doesn't have to turn the clock back - there are plenty still available today.

Kind Regards, John

As I wrote (and illustrated) last night, one doesn't have to turn the clock back - there are plenty still available today.

Kind Regards, John
Not sure if the one you illustrated qualifies as 'one piece', as the data sheet shows the back of it it to be made up of 3 removable switch modules, which would be useful if say an intermediate is required.

The old MEM and MK ones certainly were in one piece and couldn't be dismantled - without a load of bits and pieces going everywhere.

Not sure if the one you illustrated qualifies as 'one piece', as the data sheet shows the back of it it to be made up of 3 removable switch modules, which would be useful if say an intermediate is required.
Fair enough, but I would be inclined to regard that as 'quibbling', since anyone looking at the front would have know reason to know that it was 'modular' (in the sense that the three switch mechanisms were physically separate) :)

Kind Regards, John

I have to say I had the greatest success with the Crabtree round shower switches. AFAI knew, I never had a failure.

Next on my list is Click. They are like the older MK high current switches in that they have two screws per terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back