Shower isolator.

The solution - don't install electric showers. They are a last resort choice, only to be considered when there is absolutely no other option.
Yes, it's certainly true that, for many people, there are preferable alternatives.

However, for those (quite a lot) who have no choice but to use electricity to heat water, and particularly IF they are happy with the flow rates from an electric shower (which many seem to be), then an electric shower is presumably the most energy-efficient solution - and also the most cost-efficient, at least unless they have a dual-rate electricity tariff (which makes sense for few unless they have storage heaters {or maybe, temporarily, EV charging}). Is that not the case?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
All the badly installed shower wiring I have seen, even that carried out by the most idiotic of people, I still haven't seen anyone idiotic enough to exclude a shower isolator.

It may not be a requirement, but I think it's expected, and only an idiot would not insist on one.

All the badly installed shower wiring I have seen, even that carried out by the most idiotic of people, I still haven't seen anyone idiotic enough to exclude a shower isolator.
I have :)

I'm not saying I would necessarily give my blessing to such a practice, but I have to say, for what it's worth, that I have personally seen or heard of far more electrical problems (including some that could have resulted in fires) in relation to shower isolators than in relation to the showers themselves!

Kind Regards, John

I have :)

I'm not saying I would necessarily give my blessing to such a practice, but I have to say, for what it's worth, that I have personally seen or heard of far more electrical problems (including some that could have resulted in fires) in relation to shower isolators than in relation to the showers themselves!

Kind Regards, John
I have to agree with this, although I'm not yet aware of a 50A switch having problems. The original 30A switch was OK for the original 6-7KW showers but my experience is bigger and bigger shower heaters were fitted on the original 30A switch and 4mm² cable ( found this recently during EICR in one of my rental properties).
I don't force the pullswitch and its wiring in a patress box and I like to think it makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
Less hassle to change if it fails. Can also feed the wash basin.
Oh I see... I get it... two pipes is easier than one pipe?
And of course instant pressurised heaters cost more
And instant heaters require all the additional paraphenalia like taps.

How is one cold pipe feeding a single unit on the wall more hassle than a remote unit and additional tap/shower mixer? I just don't get your logic.

Last edited:
I think I have seen more shower isolators fail than shower power switches and relays built into the shower. Yes turning off isolator before going on holiday does seem a good idea, but this turning off items can also cause problems, we don't want pipes to freeze, or freezers to defrost, my grand parents would turn of isolator on fuse box, and water at stop cock, before going away, but did not have central heating, or a fridge never mind freezer, and wifi linked door bells, lights etc, have never been thought about.

I think I have seen more shower isolators fail than shower power switches and relays built into the shower.
The same as my experience (and the experiences of those I have spoken to), then.

It's one of those situations in which 'intuition' is not necessarily rational. I imagine that many/most of us would probably not really question the installation of a shower isolator, despite the fact that there are probably likely to be more electrical problems (include some which carry the risk of fire) if one has one than if one doesn't.

An N-E fault in a (SP) RCD-protected (rather than RCBO-protected) shower is one situation in which an isolator would be useful, but I suspect that is extremely rare.

Kind Regards, John

I think I have seen more shower isolators fail than shower power switches and relays built into the shower.
In my own properties all but two had/have an electric shower, (it really is my goto preference) I have replaced one isolator due to failure (rental property 30A isolator, 4mm² T&E, 10.5KW heater) I've replaced the same set-up which hadn't failed in another rental (found on EICR). I can recall replacing 10 heaters for various faults and repaired at least 3. (I've standardised on heaters and re-use working parts now). Plus there have been at least 3 replaced by tenants, hence undersized switches. 2 rentals don't have pullswitches.
At work I reckon it may be more isolators failed than heaters but not by a large margin, again usually undersized switches. However there is a good chance a plumber will be called so hard for me to get a decent feel of the situation.
I don't recall a failed 50A pullswitch.

I have encoundered far more failures with power shower pumps than with instant heaters and they are so much quieter. On that point I know of 2 blocks of flats where shower pumps are forbidden in the lease and enforced when complained.

It seems to me that the bog standard square pull switches for showers fail a lot more often than a round Crabtree 50amp pull switch, or most types of 45 or 50 amp wall switches.

I try to use 50amp Crabtree stuff wherever possible for showers,

Hi, I prefer a 2 gang switch switch, a bit more space to manoeuvre the cables, and as sparkwright mentions, Crabtree are quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back