Shower leaking - suspect flexible sealing strip

CX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my shower, a flexible sealing strip (like bath seal) sits atop the tray, and the last row of tiles are tiled down onto it. The tray was siliconed to the wall before anything else was done.

I get a leak at one side, seemingly behind the enclosure U-channel, but this area is well-sealed. I've already had the enclosure completely off once so that the inside of the U-channel can be sealed against the tray and wall. I'm ruling the enclosure out, and suspect the fault lies either in the tiles, or the flexible sealing strip. I've already re-grouted the bottom half of the walls and it can't be a coincidence that the sealing strip also ends where the leak appears!

I suspect that the flexible sealing strip is letting water through where the rubberised lip meets the tray. From there, water is effectively trapped and runs to the end of the strip and behind the adjacent tiles (or seeps into the wall behind). Does this sound plausible?

A few months ago I covered the top and bottom of the strip with silicone, which seemed to stop the leak. It doesn't seem like a long-term bodge though, because I'm not sure the silicone sticks properly to the seal and it's now leaking again.

I'm wondering what solutions there are to this?

Do I just cut the flexible strip off with a Stanley knife and fill with silicone?

Or get a uPVC quadrant (like window trim) and attach that over the top with silicone top and bottom?

Or rip the whole lot out and start again? :(

Seriously at my wit's end with it because every time it seems to be solved, it isn't. Am I worrying about this too much? It's not a huge amount of water, and the walls are blockwork with a solid concrete floor. But having a known leak doesn't sit right with me.

Sponsored Links
I would go with getting rid of the strip and masticking with Dow Corning. See how that goes, if not.....rip it out.

• Thanks
Reactions: CX
I ended up removing all old silicone with Unibond silicone remover (it really works), cleaning up with meths, redoing the original sealant areas with Dow Corning 785+, then fitting uPVC quadrant over and siliconing that too. Gave it a week before using the shower to ensure it was fully cured.

So far, not a trace of water anywhere, hope it lasts this time! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back