shower light alternative usage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question!

Would this shower light, which is IP65 rated for Zone 1, also be OK mounted in the underside of a kitchen wall cabinet directly over the kitchen sink?

Sponsored Links
Yes but you will have to allow approx 100mm above the light inside the cupboard to allow clearance for heat. If you dont the box of Honey Nut Wheetos will be on fire.

What if he has Rice Krispies in the cupboard? Or packet soups?

Sponsored Links
Ok then, how about a setup like this (excuse lack of drawing skills), where the front panel has the switch mounted on it, hidden when the cupboard doors are closed, and the grey fill represents mesh on either side?

innercupboardsv0.png

It might end up getting hot inside the whole cupboard. A 10 watt halogen under cupboard light is enough to make a mess of any chocolate or butter stored inside the cupboard if used for any length of time.
You could consider replacing the lamp with a low energy one, which will dissipate much less heat, or extend your cowl up and through the top of the cupboard, like a small chimney.

securespark said:
What if he has Rice Krispies in the cupboard? Or packet soups?

If I heard SNAP, CRACKLE and POP in my kitchen cupboard don't know if i'd want to open it :eek:

Would something like this be any good?

It is a bit more expensive but may be a bit more suited to your application, and will also save you losing valuable cupboard space, and you will enjoy reduced running costs, and a much longer lamp life

When you say the lights will be above the sink, what sort of distance are you talking? I would have thought it unusual to have wall mounted cabinets directly above the sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back