Shower - Mains cold, low pressure hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I live in a townhouse (3 storeys) whihc has direct main feed cold to all outlets and low pressure hot. I am fitting a new shower down stairs - it will be feed from main cold and low pressure hot. The hot has about 6 meters of head. Will a normal 'mixer' shower work or should I go for Venturi style? Do anyone have experience of these venturi showers?

Sponsored Links
it's unlikely it'll work as you want.

i'm in a similar position and have done a fair bit of reading,
so i may be wrong on some points but to summise..

6m of head equates to roughly 0.6bar best case scenario

mains pressure is ?? (assuming 4 bar..)

would mean the mains is nearly 8 times more pressurised than the hot water,

worst case scenario, the mains cold will force its way up the hot pipe,
out the expansion pipe above the tank and you'll have an overflowing cold water cistern in the loft.

best case, you'll have a temperamental mixer that will be on a razors edge between hot and cold.

The simplest solution you'll get is to take a new cold feed from your cold water cistern and use this along side the hot,
this means the two would be at the same pressure (as they both have the same head)

My cold water tank isn't big enough to do this, so i'm doing it a different way to cure my problem, using a few things.

1) a PRV (pressure reducing valve) on the incoming mains set to about 3 bar, limits incoming pressure so the differental between hot and cold isn't too great.

2) 2 PEV's (pressure equalising valve), one for my basin mixer and one for the feed to the shower, which should bring the cold pressure down to match the hot, it also includes check valves / non return valves to stop the overflowing cold water cistern, these need to be cleaned out periodically so isolation before the PEV as well.

3) a thermostatic shower mixer, just because i don't like being shocked by cold water :mrgreen:

Thanks for reply - mains is at around 3 bar - so pressure difference will be an issue. Running a new pipe from the loft tank is going to be a difficult job as tank is effectively in floor 4 and bathroom on first floor.

Did you look at a venturi shower at all? Do you know anything about this?

Also could I get a PRV to reduce main pressure to 0.6 bar?

I think PRV's normally only come down to 1 or 1.5 bar,
still not enough to give you a balanced supply for a normal mixer

**edit, why not just use a PEV in your case, most can cope with a 10:1 difference ??? **

but that would might be low enough for a low pressure thermostatic mixer,
the ones i've been looking at can cope with a 5:1 pressure difference

PRV's also need cleaning out periodically, most come with a strainer for the incoming supply and it'll need clearing out if it becomes clogged.

i'd only fit that to the shower if you want to go that route, as if you fit it to the mains, you'll reduce the feed to all the taps / cisterns down to that.

i did have a look at venturi, but the choice is rather limited, and they have a specific operating range of flow and pressures, need at least a 22mm hot feed and preferably a 15mm cold feed,
and moving the shower head up and down causes the temperature to fluctuate (as you alter the head resistance and thus the venturi effect changes).
nice idea in principle but it's not something i fancy.

Sponsored Links
it will come down to which mixer you get,
have a look at the specs, they normally show a flow rate @ x bar

it isn't a guarantee as most figures are without a shower head.
the ones i'm looking at generally show about 7 L/min @ 0.2 bar

Ok - excellent. I shall simply go with hot from tank, cold from mains. Then PEV feeding into feeding into thermostatic valve. Hopefully will work ok as should have 0.6 bar of pressure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back