Shower mixer - argh no backplate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a manual exposed Grohe Avensys shower mixer and I want to replace with a thermostatic bar mixer (eg Grohtherm 2000). But there is no backplate - the Avensys has compression joints and is held on the wall with a gurt big screw, whereas it looks like the Grohtherm expects to attach to a backplate.

I can't get to the plumbing without opening a wall up or stripping the tiles, neither of which I want to do. Are there any other options - eg bar mixers that use compression joints and attach to the wall?

Sponsored Links
Without seeing a picture it's difficult to see exactly what you mean but.......

SF do this fixing kit (other manufacturers ones are available there too, this is just an example), would that be of any use?

I've used one to fix a mixer back in place when it detached from the wall, using this I was able to make minor mods to pipework without opening the wall.

Hope if nothing else this offers some food for thought.

Awesome! That looks like it will do the job perfectly. Do you know if the size would be standard - ie will it only fir Mira, or would it be OK for Grohe too?

I used that particular one on an unknown make so think they're universal as long as its 15 mm pipe.

Sponsored Links
It worked perfectly, and should outlast the valve itself which attaches very simply.

Now I have two little screw holes in the tiles. What's the best way of filling/concealing? Grout?

Your preference really you can grout although it has a tendency to crack. Other options are silicone or sometimes I silicone one of those little white screw caps over the hole.

Glad you got the original problem sorted. Well done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back