Shower mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a shower mixer tap (fed from an electronic pump), it looks good quality, just needs some TLC I think.

I can turn it easily towards hot, but it's very very stiff to turn back to cold.
If I frantically twist it back and forth it frees up, but only for a day.

Is there something I need to replace inside the unit? Looks hard to replace the actual unit itself so I want to avoid that if possible.

There is a 'tab' which I can press in behind the handle on the main unit, in line with the shaft, not sure what it does though, maybe how it comes apart?

Thanks,
Leon

Sponsored Links
Pictures would be helpful here.

The cartridge may need replacing.

The "tab" that you are pressing is more than likely a safety device that stops the mixer turning above 38C if you push the tab in you will then be able to turn it past this temperature to get it hotter.

They usually come away from the front (if it is a central dial) possibly a screw under the makers badge or a pop off cap of some description. The dials will then normally pull off the splines and expose the cartridge.

Like I said, pictures will help a lot.

Jon

You 'might' be able to 'service' the thermostatic cartridge by removing it and cleaning, descaling and lubricating various parts. As above, photos will help us to help you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back