Shower Not Fuctioning Properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new bathroom fitted in June by a local plumber. Within two weeks the shower started to play up not allowing the hot water through intermitantly. We contactacted our plumber who fitted a new washer which made absolutely no difference. We contacted Victoria Plumb who gave us a replacement shower bar which our plumber fitted. Two weeks later, the same thing happened again.

Sometimes we can get it to work by running the cold water through the hand held bit of the shower and things like that. If it helps, I do know that the cold water pressure was lowered when the shower was fitted. We do not have a pump fitted.

I personally would get back to the plumber straight away but my husband is trying to think what it could be before doing so as it is getting expensive. We are retired and would be grateful for your advise.

Sponsored Links
What supplies your hot water ? Combi boiler , or gravity fed hot water cylinder ( with a large cold water tank in loft ) or some other means ?

We have a gravity fed hot water cylinder with a large cold water tank in the loft. Thank you for replying.

Sponsored Links
Ok.,then i presume the bathroom is underneath the loft ,not directly but on the next floor down. That will give a very poor pressure at the shower head. Is this so ? And is the cold supply to the shower from the loft tank or directly from the mains.

Yes. Our bathroom is downstairs and the cold water is from the mains.

Everything was fine for the first two weeks and then fine for two weeks after the new shower bar was fitted.

The only other thing to add is that we did get a bit of grit in our hot water when we ran a bath the other week. I don't know if that is of any importance.

Last edited:
So you may have a totally imbalanced supply of hot and cold to the mixer valve ,which i assume is a thermostatic bar type. Your hot water pressure is going to be around 0.3 to 0.5 bar if your property is only two floors ,shower on ground floor and loft tank above bedrooms. Unless the plumber has reduced the mains pressure to a similiar pressure as the hot ( which i doubt ) the valve is not likely to work properly. Anyway ,it is more likely to be an installation issue ,rather than two duff valves. You should get the plumber back to sort it out. Some valves need minimum pressures to work well.

Thank you. The cold water was reduced but perhaps not correctly. Very kind of you to explain so clearly.

How was the pressure reduced to match the hot ? Dont confuse reducing the flow with pressure. You can turn down the flow on your kitchen tap ,and it will deliver less water but it will still be at the same pressure.

These types of showers need independent feeds from both hot and cold stored water. As Terry has said, it needs cold supplied from the storage tank, and an independent feed from the hot cylinder, ideally via a Surrey type flange in the outlet of the tank, to minimise the risk of the shower supply altering if water is drawn off elsewhere in the house. Properly installed these should give a perfectly adequate shower without the need for a pump.

Is the shower a 'Thermostatic' version do you know? This would be better and safer, as in the event of the cold supply failing, the shower will cut out and prevent possible scalding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back