Shower on same ring as sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a new house. The electrics were rewired around 25 years and all seem fine except the shower is on the same ring as the upstairs sockets. It appears to be on the thicker cable than the sockets.

Is this safe? I thought the shower and cooker should always be on their own ring?

Sponsored Links
Electric showers they should be, with cookers it depends on the load, some smaller powered cookers can just plug in to a standard socket outlet.

Sponsored Links
What is the ouput power rating of it?
and are you sure the cable is connected to the socket circuit and not fed back to the fuse board?

Not sure what the output rating it. Its quite an old shower so without taking it to bits I can't even see what make it is.

Does it matter about the distance from the distribution board? A friend has just mentioned to me that he thinks if its under a ceratin length cable its fine to be on the same ring?

I've never heard that before tho?

and yes. its definetly connected into the sockets. it goes up into the loft so I've not traced it back yet but the board is labeled up and theres no shower and if I flick the upstairs sockets off on the board the shower goes off.

They should be installed on a separate circuit, with both cable and protective device(MCB/fuse) suitably rated for the output of the shower, the regulation now recommends additional protection by means of RCDs.

They should be installed on a separate circuit, with both cable and protective device(MCB/fuse) suitably rated for the output of the shower, the regulation now recommends additional protection by means of RCDs.

It's more than a recommendation:

701.411.3.3 - Additional protection by RCDs

Additional protection shall be provided for all circuits of the location, by the use of one or more RCDs having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1.

It's more than a recommendation:

701.411.3.3 - Additional protection by RCDs

Additional protection shall be provided for all circuits of the location, by the use of one or more RCDs having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1.

Indeed it is, should have stated it's a requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back