Shower outlet alignments finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to fit a concealed thermostatic shower with a fixed head, and a seperate hose with a handset on the end.

My fixed head is on an arm, which is essentially a fancy pipe with a thread on each end 1/2" BSP. I assume that I use a 1/2" wallplate elbow behind the tiles to screw this into, but my wife is going to expect the shower head to point straight down, how can I be sure that the 1/2" joint will seal fully at the 6 o'clock position? Do I need to use a sealing compound on it, if so which one? I dont want to have it not really snug up when upside down and be loose at the correct position and unable to tighten another half turn. Just a shed load of ptfe tape?

The elbow for the hose to the "handset" part, looks like it can only be fitted from behind the wall by tightening a plastic "nut" against the back of the aquapanel, but this is an outside wall and I dont have that option. Are there wall elbows that can be fitted in this situation? All the websites I am looking at have no real information on this.

Lastly, the thermostatic shower I have bought has a big polished plate on the front to hide everything, what is the best way to secure this to the wall and seal the edge? Some sort of silicone?

Many thanks for reading and any help.

George

Sponsored Links
Well the arm arrived today and seems to leave me with the same issue as the elbow. There is a long 1/2" BSPP thread to go into the wall with a thread on "cosmetic cover" up against a shoulder and a nut to go ont he back (which I cant get to).

The only thing I can think of to do with these two is to fit a wallplate elbow behind the tiles.

p4767667_l.jpg

tile over, then screw the fittings in and check the gap (assuming there is one) and then remove and trim the parallel thread to length carefully until it just snugs up correctly... seems like a bit of a bodge though.

How exactly are these parallel threads supposed to seal? By hitting the end stop then closing off all the threads on the PTFE tape?

ANY help much appreciated, there must be a way to do this...

George

you got in one.
ptfe or liquid ptfe.

check the fitting before you tile etc then you know how deep to fit the wall plate.
ok-wink.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Is there any advantage to using the liquid ptfe over the tape?

Are there any "tricks" to doing this? It seems like I need the threads to hit the bottom of the elbow at the exact same moment that the exterior fitting meets the tiles, I could mount the wall elbow with screws with stiff rubber tube on each side of the plate to provide a little spring?
And I need to be confident that the threads arent leaking behind the tiles, looking under the bath for water coming out from behind the aquapanel seems like it might miss a slow leak where the water has to "wet" eveything down before it runs out.

What about fitting the cover/trim for the shower valves? Just press it onto a thin bead of silicone at the edge? Or can I get a neoprene gasket or something?

George

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back