Potential disaster...shower outlets in tiled wall - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting my bathroom and have an issue with the shower elbow. The feed to the elbow is a 15mm female 90 degree connector screwed in place behind the wall. The pipe was pushed right up against the Marmox backing board to allow easy installation, however my tiler has done a great job, and has squared off the wall meaning that the tile is now further proud of the wall than I intended.

This means that my shower hose elbow only has 2-3 turns before becoming lodged. My concern is that this will not be enough to guarantee a tight seal. What are my options?

1. Lots of PTFE on the thread and hope for the best.
2. Some form of sealing compound on the thread? (is there even such a thing?)
3. Try to dislodge the wood securing the elbow behind and then put in some kind of extension (I would need to push the elbow back a good 50mm I guess which may just be possible).
4. Other ideas?

Photos on their way!

Sponsored Links
just had another attempt and managed to force 4 full turns out of the elbow. I think 4 seems like it should be satisfactory if I use PTFE tape. What is everyone elses views?

Hi

I'm not a professional but have installed a couple of showers recently (my own). I had a lot of trouble thinking very carefully about exactly where the outside tap fitting had to be placed.

If it was me in your situation I would use loctite 55 plus LSX and using trial/error get just the right amount of pfte so that after (4 turns you say) its as tight as can be.

No doubt I'll be shot down for shoddy advice when the real plumbers arrive but other than asking on this forum thats what I would do.

Sponsored Links
Homebase do small tubes of a white epoxy compound in their plumbing section that is excellent at sealing water fittings. Smear it on the male threads and simply screw the parts together. One hour later it's set rock-solid and watertight and it'll never come apart.

All amazing replies - I think I will try the epoxy or liquid PTFE. The extension is a great idea that I may use on the rainfall part instead of screwing the arm in further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back