Shower Panels - Fit behind tray or on-top of tray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :D

I ask this in the Tiling Forum rather than in woodwork because I guess Shower Panels are closer to tiling than anything else!

Anyway, I'm fitting three shower panels around a shower tray.

- The tray is 1200x900mm

- I've got two 900mm panels and one 1200mm panel.

- I've got the 'W' shaped trims (like this) to fit the two internal corners, and end piece trims for the exposed edges.

My question is this (worded as best as I can!)....

I can see that, the using the 'W' shaped internal corners linked above, and mounting the panels on top of the shower tray, they'll offset the panels from the wall, and hence each panels will need to be trimmed by 1cm or so (1cm for the 900's, but 2cm for the 1200). The other option, I guess, is that use a base profile trim like this, and mount the panels behind the shower tray, down to floor level, and hence then won't require to cut the panels.

I'm concerned that, if I mount ON TOP of the tray, then i'll never manage to neatly take 1cm/2cm off the long edge of these panels in a neat, straight fashion (I do have a jigsaw, and a vice, but i'll never get the panel in it!).

However, mounting behind/sides of tray sounds like it's just asking for water to run down the panels and through the gap....will it be possible to seal this effectively and neatly!?

Really grateful for any advice...

Cheers

Tom

[/url]

Sponsored Links
They should be mounted ontop of the tray and its fairly easy to cut with a fine toothed hand saw bit of masking tape and a pencil line you dnt have to use trims on the internal corners if you dont want to if you do use trims make sure you seal down the trims to stop water ingress .

Alright cheers mate, will go with that!

Sadly however, I just noticed that the tray has a huge crack across the back of it, so I've got to wait till Tuesday for a replacement before I can bed the new one down and fit the panels....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back