Shower pressure questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We`ve had a shower installed for about 9 months and recently its started playing up going hot/cold. Its this kind of shower

https://www.bradfordbathroomcompany...mier-thermostatic-bar-valve-shower-kit-jty375

We`ve had the combi boiler checked out and its supplying the correct hot. The plumber has contacted the shower manufacturer and they are saying we should have a pressure reducing valve on the cold. But i`m not understanding that its been fine for 9 months and the previous shower we had aswell was fine and now theyre saying it requires this valve installed.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say it's going hot / cold, what exactly do you mean?

It is contantly jumping from hot and cold, or it is no longer as hot as it used to be?

Usually you would only need to fit a pressure reducing valve on sites where the cold pressure exceeds 5 bar. I don't expect this to be the case for you.

A bar shower fed by a combi is fine, no need for a pressure reducing valve as hot & cold are equal pressures (almost). Sounds like the manufacturer is telling porkies. Ask your plumber to carry out a pressure test. As Tea time says, it's unlikely your mains pressure is that high.

Thanks

Yes I was suspicious of what the manufacturer is saying. I did come across a video on calibrating shower mixers ie adjusting the cartridge. could it be just something as simple as that? Have asked the plumber to check anyway.

Sponsored Links
Or it could be the combi boiler cycling on and off because the shower flow is too low for it to run constantly.

Is the showerhead scaled up?

Does it do it if you have another hot tap running in the bathroom when the shower is on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back