Shower Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved in about 1 month ago and the shower (triton opel) has been fine ........... now it keeps coming up lower pressure when its on the 3 bar heat setting.

if i set it to 1 bar and turn the heat setting all the way up its slower but fine.

Ive phoned southern water and they say that the pressure hasnt been changed in our area.

Any ideas anybody?

thanks

-Tom

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have a restriction in the flow somewhere. It might be limited to the shower or affect the whole house. Is there a stop valve for the shower and, if so, has somebody been fiddling with it? Do you find that the flow rate from mains fed taps drops off when you turn on too many at once or flush the toilet? In this case check the main stopcock.

We had this problem after our water company relined the mains under the street. The resin they used found its way up almost everybody's pipes including ours. Result - we were right back where we started before we had the old lead replaced with plastic. It took a while to convince the water engineer who came round that we had a blockage because his pressure gauge said there was no problem. Well what would you expect from a static pressure check????

Have you checked to see if there is a filter inside the shower unit?

there is no taps or washing machine or anything running while trying to take a shower ......... so that counts that out.

I dont think there is a seperate valve for the shower...... i will have a look around.

i will also double check the main valve for the house to make sure its on fully.

any other ideas people ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
when did you last descale the shower head and hose? Chalk can block things over time :rolleyes:

Dont know about the hose but the head is only about 2 weeks old.
It's the heating bit inside the box which needs descaling. Fiddly.

Don't see why not.

Would probably take a while and multiple flushes, as there is so little volume in there for descaling fluid. If you think this is the problem, it might be easier to buy a new heater can and clean out the old one at your leisure and keep it as a spare.

Just 1 Q though:
You said:
Dont know about the hose but the head is only about 2 weeks old.
Did this problem start when you replaced the head? It is the right sort for an electric shower, is it?

I just bought the head from B&Q ....... guess ill take it off and see if it makes a difference ........ although its been working fone for 2 weeks or so.

Hmmmmmmm it going bang could be an issue...... i dont think there is a cut off anywhere in the bathroom.

Am i right in thinking that the an eletric shower should have some sort of pull cord to turn it on and off?

thanks

tomlewis007 said:
Am i right in thinking that the an eletric shower should have some sort of pull cord to turn it on and off?

:eek:

Strongly suggest you get a qualified electrician to check the installation.
Make sure an rcd is protecting the circuit.

I am an eletronic engineer by trade so i should be ok to take a look at it.

Not as good as an eletrician i know but i cant really afford it at the mo.

whats a RCD?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back