Shower Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just starting to replace everything in my bathroom.

I am replacing the power shower as the internal pump has broken. As I'm on a budget I want to try & replace the shower as cheaply as poss I am considering a seperate pump (On ebay around £30 - £40) combined with a mixer shower unit.

How easy is this to do? Am I just as well replacing with a new power shower?
Does the external shower pump have to be positioned anywhere impaticular? Please any advie would be appreciated, the wife is bending my ear :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Is the shower in the bath or a separate cubicle?
If it is above the bath, you can usually site the pump under the bath. You can tee off the existing supplys to the bath and either have the bath and/or the shower pumped. Simple shower booster pumps such as Salamander or Stuart Turner pumps are twin impellor types and literally have a hot and cold supply going in and hot and cold outlets to your draw off. If you want to locate the pump elsewhere (usually the airing cupboard) you will need a separate outlet from your tank in the loft and a new draw-off from the cylinder (preferably via a Surrey or Essex flange). However, you can also tee off from the vent pipe just above the cylinder. These two feeds will supply the pump and the two outlets will supply the valve.
It can be a bit daunting the first time, but once you've done it once- you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!
I will say at this point, that at least a good level of DIY skill is essential.

Good lick

Brian

I suggest the cheapest option is for you to replace the pumped shower with something similar. AFAIK the only pumps suitable for underbath installations are low voltage pumps (eg Watermill)...mains voltage may not comply.

Putting a pump onto the hot and cold pipework under the bath may not work. Pumps are not as simple as you may think. I suggest you thoroughly read the technical documents from the major manufacturers if you want to avoid cavitation and the many other problems that get regularly posted on here.

Most of these cheap deals on ebay are rubbish quality - read previous postings, the neverending disapointment with junk imported products from China/India.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back