Shower Pump but no loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably a stupid question so apologies in advance. Daughter in the process of buying a new house which is a 3 storey. Main bedroom and ensuite at the top. They will be only be having an electric shower, apparently the hot tank is on the second floor. Is there any way around this to fit a shower pump? Thanks

Sponsored Links
will probably have an unvented HW Cylinder, no need for any pump, and electric showers dont connect to tanks

Thanks, but the reason they were given for it being an electric shower was because there is no loft. The Cylinder is on the floor below the en suite

If you have a gravity cylinder I'd advise swapping it for an unvented...
If you fit a pump the chances are it won't conform to manufacture instructions hence you won't get a warranty with the pump.

Sponsored Links
I can confirm it is an unvented system with the cylinder on the middle floor. Is there any reason the builder cannot fit a thermostatically controlled shower on the top floor? Perhaps my question wasn't very well presented, sorry

Is there any reason the builder cannot fit a thermostatically controlled shower on the top floor?
None at all.
That's the whole point of an unvented system - you can have mains pressure hot & cold water anywhere.
You do not need a pump or an electric shower.

I can confirm it is an unvented system with the cylinder on the middle floor. Is there any reason the builder cannot fit a thermostatically controlled shower on the top floor? Perhaps my question wasn't very well presented, sorry

It might depend on your local mains water pressure, but if it's OK for an electric shower, it should be OK for a thermostatic shower.

With an unvented cylinder (which "should" only have been installed if the mains supply is adequate and with correct pipe sizing BTW) it can be installed in a basement and still provide for a shower on the 3rd floor!

Has your holder been in the property?

You won't need a pump in that case. You can have a shower anywhere, connected to the hot and cold water as the hot water is at mains pressure. Get a thermostatically controlled mixer shower.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Apparently the house builders will only fit an electric shower

There is something you are not telling us, is it a brand new build and has other bathrooms , showers running off the unvented ? and an electric shower in the en-suite ? that is common on new builds

Another common option is mains fed en-suite showers with the main bathroom having a bath and a separate shower cubicle with an electric shower in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back