Shower pump connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a shower pump in the airing cupboard.

A 3A switched/fused outlet is provided for the central heating. I had hoped this was on a ring but discover it is taken off the 20A immersion heater supply.

The downstairs ring cable runs under the airing cupboard floor.

Two possible options:
a) Run a second fused connection off the 20A supply
b) Cut into the ring and fit a junction box to make a spur for a fused outlet

I don't believe either are considered acceptable in the regs. Do I have other possibilities?

Sponsored Links
Two possible options:
a) Run a second fused connection off the 20A supply
b) Cut into the ring and fit a junction box to make a spur for a fused outlet
I don't believe either are considered acceptable in the regs. Do I have other possibilities?
(a)...The immersion heater really should have a dedicated circuit of its own. Hence, it shouldn't really have the outlet for the CH, let alone another 'outlet'.
(b)...All other things being equal, there's nothing wrong with cutting into the ring. If the junction box would be accessible (probably would in the airing cupboard, then that would be OK, but a fused connection unit could be wired directly into the ring (where it was cut) as another option.

Kind Regards, John.

(b)...All other things being equal, there's nothing wrong with cutting into the ring. If the junction box would be accessible (probably would in the airing cupboard, then that would be OK, but a fused connection unit could be wired directly into the ring (where it was cut) as another option.

I want to put the pump at ceiling height so would need to spur the fuse outlet.

Further information. The house was built in 1973 so has red/black wiring. The JB to fuse connection would therefore be blue/brown. Apart from putting a notice on the fuse box, is this a notifiable change?

I want to avoid knock on work. The consumer unit is also 1973 so worry about busybodies getting involved and sucking air through their teeth.

If you incorporated a fused connection unit into the ring (maybe near floor level) that does not, in itself, mean that you can't have a couple of metres of cable from that to the pump. However, as I said, provided that it remains 'accessible', the junction box method would be acceptable.

Further information. The house was built in 1973 so has red/black wiring. The JB to fuse connection would therefore be blue/brown. Apart from putting a notice on the fuse box, is this a notifiable change?
As I understand it, provided we're not talking about a kitchen or bathroom, adding a spur to an existing ring circuit is not notifiable. If the airing cupboard is in a bathroom, you will probably see some debate as to whether or not it's notifiable!

I want to avoid knock on work. The consumer unit is also 1973 so worry about busybodies getting involved and sucking air through their teeth.
Without commenting, I can understanding what you're saying. The greatest concern with an installation of that vintage would probably be whether or not it has any RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links

At risk of tarnishing the Electrics forum with filthy plumbing advice, the pump should be close to the cylinder, on the floor for best results. and in strict accordance with the instructions to validate the warranty. Otherwise additional air vents, anti-gravity loops and negative head pumps become necessary. Apologies if you already considered this.

Apart from putting a notice on the fuse box, is this a notifiable change?
As I understand it, provided we're not talking about a kitchen or bathroom, adding a spur to an existing ring circuit is not notifiable. If the airing cupboard is in a bathroom, you will probably see some debate as to whether or not it's notifiable!
Fortunately the airing cupboard is only accessible from the landing.
The greatest concern with an installation of that vintage would probably be whether or not it has any RCD protection.
It doesn't.

Fortunately the airing cupboard is only accessible from the landing.
No problem, then.
The greatest concern with an installation of that vintage would probably be whether or not it has any RCD protection.
It doesn't.
Whilst (as often discussed here) RCDs are no panacea, if I were in your position, that would concern me - although I accept that it is not directly related to the question you have asked.

Kind Regards,John.

What do the MI's say? Does it say that an RCD should be fitted?

I would want to have one wherever water, electricity and people are in clove proximity.

What do the MI's say? Does it say that an RCD should be fitted? I would want to have one wherever water, electricity and people are in clove proximity.
Same here - and even without water being in the equation. Although certainly no panacea, RCDs certainly can save lives in some situations - which renders them 'essential' in my mind!

Kind Regards, John

As I understand it, provided we're not talking about a kitchen or bathroom, adding a spur to an existing ring circuit is not notifiable.
To return to this subject, we have established that the airing cupboard is not part of the bathroom, hence a spur is not (normally) notifiable. However, the cable running under the airing cupboard floor doesn't have enough slack for one junction box. It therefore requires two JBs with a short bridge. Does this change the official line?

Is the loft above the airing cupboard?

If so, may I suggest you connect the shower pump to the lighting circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back