Shower Pump given up - easy to install new?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we've been in this house 18 months and the shower pump has been hit and miss the whole time. There was a note on the socket saying turn off when not in use. The reason being, the pump would just randomly just start pumping due to I suspect a leak somewhere and it detecting flow?!?!

Anyway, the last week or so it's sounded even louder and worse than normal and has given up tonight. Cut out, and has a burning smell. All unplugged now.

We were aiming to do the bathroom later this year and a new pump was part of the plan. At the minute this pump just works with the ensuite shower so we'll need a pump that can run two showers although one won't be hooked up until later this year.

From what I gather, Stuart Turner pumps are the ones to go for, but I don't know which I need. And would it be a straight forward switch I could do myself?

And as a little extra, does this pipe work in the airing cupboard need looking at? Ideally I'd like to get a magnetic filter for the CH in before the pump. Was wondering whether the 3 port could be rotated so the curved pipe is facing down, then a right angle upwards to lengthen the pipe the pump is on so there's room for a filter? Feasible? Possible?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6826.jpg
    IMG_6826.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6825.jpg
    IMG_6825.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6824.jpg
    IMG_6824.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6823.jpg
    IMG_6823.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6822.jpg
    IMG_6822.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6821.jpg
    IMG_6821.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6820.jpg
    IMG_6820.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6819.jpg
    IMG_6819.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6818.jpg
    IMG_6818.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
1. Random pumping is often caused by an airlock somewhere in the system.
2. The pipework to the shower pump looks a bit iffy:
2a. No clips on the copper pipes, putting additional strain on the flexi's to the pump.
2b. All appear to be in 15 mm. Depending on what pump you go for will almost certainly need changing to 22 mm.
3. I'd be looking at a 2 to 2.5 bar pump for two showers. If you go Stuart Turner, go for the Monsoon range. Their plastic bodied range is, in my opinion, a bit poor, and you can't get spares for at least some items.
4. Pay very careful attention to the manufacturer's instructions for whatever pump you choose. Any pump must have:
4a. It own feed from the cold water storage cistern, with that feed existing just below the cold feed to the hot water cylinder.
4b. Its own, air / vapour free, feed from the hot water cylinder. Normally done via a special flange, but some allow a downward tee off a rising vent pipe.
5. I'm afraid trying to understand the pipe work re magnetic filter is too complicated for a Sunday evening. Whatever you do make sure the last tee into the return is the hot water system primary return, and the filter is between that tee and the boiler. Best place is next to the boiler, but I presume from your question you don't have the room to put it there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back