Shower Pump on the blink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Stewart Turner Monsoon 2.0hp shower pump about 4-5 years old. It has suddenly stopped working. The shower still works under gravity and there is a low hum from the pump as it does so. (I thought initially that this was the pump trying to run but it happens when the pump is switched off as well. so must be just water passing through the pump?)
The pump is wired though an FCU and the fuse is OK. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it may be a capacitor issue if the pump isn't running - replacements easy sourced and fitted if you are DIY savvy.

As above, if it is humming but not turning, it sounds like a faulty capacitor. I had something similar with my tumble drier recently. The capacitor had failed. The motor would hum, if I gave it a push, the drum would spin. a tenner for a new capacitor, and the machine works as it should.

Thanks all for advice. I have tried replacing the capacitor but to no effect. The plumber I called barely gave it glance, pronounced it burned out and has gone off to quote me for a new pump. [I have established that it it just over 5 years old so out of warranty - it is in a guest room so not often used which may be part of the problem?] The plumber's advice is exactly what YouTube videos say plumbers will say!
The capacitor I tried was deliberately a cheap one so no real loss there but I am reluctant to invest in a new PCB if my plumber is right. I notice that the red power on check light on the PCB does work.

Is there any way to test the pump to be more definitive about the problem? I paid about £260 for this pump >5 years ago; they are now £370!

Sponsored Links
If the capacitor is ok, then it must have internal issues. If you have a multimeter and are comfortable testing @ mains voltage (for one test) the others are continuity and resistance and wish to go further, then you can run numerous tests to check the motor internals.

Thanks Rob. I have a multi-meter and I am happy testing mains voltage. Can you enlarge on the tests you suggest?

M

Thanks for this, I'll see what I can diagnose. Plumber may well be right but reluctant to chuck away a pump on the basis of a quick look.

Regards
M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back