Shower Pump starting on its own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well not exactly on its own....Sometimes if you turn the hot water tap on/off in the kitchen or bathroom, there will be a short (0.5 sec) burst of the shower pump coming into life. No water is expelled from the shower but the pump makes a noise as if the shower has been turned on momentarily.

I'm guessing its some sort of airlock in the hot water system but how do I resolve it?

It's wierd that it seems to come and go. Will be okay for a few days then will do it for a few days before stopping again.

I've tried to backflush the hot water supply from the mains and that appears to fix it (for a while) but nothing permanent. Is there some sort of valve I can fit before the pump to stabilise the pressure after it so it isnt affected by the other hot taps being used?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The pump has switches that sense water flowing past them.When you are turning on your taps the pressure in the pipework drops.When the tap is turned off the pressure builds again and there must be a slight movement of water in the pipe passing the switch.Have you had the water off and not quite turned on the isolation tap or fitted a tap with a greater flow.

Sponsored Links
So would that mean a new pump?

Or could I reduce the flow slightly to the other hot taps?

do you know which kind of pump you have, ?(positive or negative head)

I'm not sure.

The pump is on the floor, at the same level as the base of the hot water cylinder. The cold storage tank is in the loft above.

So I'm not sure whether that makes it positive or negative?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back