shower pump starts switching on when hot tap is turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I Have a stuart turner shower pump and it has started to momentarily switch on when a hot tap is turned off either in bathroom or downstairs in kitchen. If the tap in the case of a basin mixer is put in the cold water position first before turning off it does not switch on, if the hot tap is left running for a little while it does not do this either only when it is turned off relatively quickly. It is puzzling me what is causing this to happen. Can anyone advise what may be causing this?
Regards
Cono

Sponsored Links
There is a bit of air in the pipework either in the pump, or between pump and shower. Perhaps there is an inverted 'U' section of pipework?

When a hot tap is abruptly turned off, the shockwave is enough to compress this air slightly causing a momentary flow of water through the pump, which causes it to start momentarily.

Solution is to get rid of the air by purging the pump and the following pipework.

Hi Echoes

Many thanks for your quick reply. I thought it might be air and I removed the shower head and ran the hot water for a couple of minutes but this did not remove the air. I did have the same thing happen approx 2 years ago soon after having my boiler replaced. My pump packed up soon after and it was so old Stuart Turner advised that I replace it. This cured the air problem and it has just recurred. Is there any way that I can purge the air by using an automatic valve similar to that that you use to replace the bleed valve on a radiator, if possible where would be best to place it. Thank you for your advice.

Regards
Cono

I would start by making sure the pump itself is empty of air by disconnecting the outlet and letting it flow into a bucket or tray (power to pump off of course).

If your pipework loops over such that there is a high point where air could get trapped, then put an air vent at that point. A manual vent would do - once the air is gone it shouldn't reappear provided the pump is fed via an Essex or Surrey flange designed to prevent air ever reaching the pump in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Hi Echoes

It has an Essex flange. Will do as you say. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Regards
Cono

Another way to remove the air is to:

1. Remove shower head.
2. Place shower hose into a Wet vacuum. Block end of wet vac with a cloth
3. Turn on hot water
4. Turn on Wet vacuum and suck out the air.

A wickes Wet vacuum is approx. £30 and can be used for a multiple of jobs.

Andy

Hi Echoes
Hi Hertsdrainage2010

My thanks to each of you for your advice. What I have done is turn the pump off take shower heads off, run both the hot and cold supply for 3 minutes in each and this has resolved the problem (guess it got rid of the air). However, I realise that it will be short term so will place an air vent at the highest point in the pipework to hopefully prevent a recurrence of the problem.

Regards
Cono

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back