Shower pump woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shower pump to supply my shower.
I have problems with air getting into the system and can't figure out why, perhaps someone can see what is wrong!
The pump has it's own dedicated cold feed in 22mm from cold tank directly above it in loft. This reduces to 15mm at the pump.
Hot comes off top of tank with a Warwick flange, and down to pump. The only slight thing I have just realised is there is a small rise on the flexi pipe to the pump inlet?
The hot water is heated by immersion heater and by wood burner which gravity circulates via indirect coil. The air problem is worse if there has been a good fire lit that night and so the tank has got nice and hot. Note, it doesn't boil or anything, once up to 65C it kicks a pump in to circulate to some rads.

I think the air is in the hot but can't be sure. Shower is thermostatic one from wickes. If you turn shower off and then on again straight awAy you get a load of gurgling as air is coming out. A few times doing this will sometimes cure it. Other times it won't clear.

Any ideas how I can stop it! :)

Sponsored Links
The pump should be connected to the pipe on the side of the Warwick fitting.
The top fitting should have a rise on it and be connected to the vent pipe.

The pump should be connected to the pipe on the side of the Warwick fitting.
The top fitting should have a rise on it and be connected to the vent pipe.

Indeed... All your air is venting into the shower pump, not up the vent.

Sponsored Links
Oh bugr it's obvious now! I am sure I fitted the valve as per instructions! Maybe it's not a Warwick flange, is there another type which does the same but is fitted this way? I thought when looking at it that the top pipe went down 6 inch into tank to pick up water without air. Does it matter if the vent comes off at 90 degrees for 12 inch before going up? As in just swapping the two pipes onto the flange over?

The Warwick flange is correctly fitted in the picture, the air free supply is indeed the top outlet!

Do not confuse a Warwick flange with a Surrey flange.

Free flow - so do I have a Warwick or Surrey? I'm sure it's plumbed correctly ie the correct outlet as per diagram. So that leaves me at square 1 with no possible solutions so far?!

It definitely looks like a Warix, Warwick flange or whatever you want to call it! to me.

A Surrey flange normally uses male iron fittings to connect onto it, a Warix does not.

The only thing that I can think of with air being introduced to the pumped air free supply is that the cowl on the internal dip tube has come adrift ?

From your link..

In systems where there are one
bathroom and an en-suite shower.
Or two or more bathrooms the cold
feed to the cylinder MUST be in 28mm pipework.

My pump is supplying the shower and basin taps. The taps don't seem to be affected as bad as the shower. Both are rarely used together. My cylinder feed is in 22mm, this should be ok I guess? Perhaps I need to take the flange out and check it's internals?

It might not be the problem but your water is too hot for the pump, maximum should be 60c, can you measure the actual temperature at the top of the cylinder ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back