Shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you help..

When a hot tap is opened in the house the shower pump auto switch comes on for a couple of seconds and then stops ?

The other day when thew washing machine was on it kept on doing it on/off on/off etc etc...

The shower is on its own HW supply from a surrey flange in the top of the water cylinder.

The shower pump is located in the roof space above the downstairs shower room which is about 4m away from the Cylinder which is also located on the ground floor of our bungerlow.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It could have air in its pipework, so the water moves about when the pressure changes due to a tap being turned somehere. Is there a bleed point up there - I expect there is.

shower pump works by pressure switch, pressure dropping switch starts. pressure rises switch stops.

when you turn tap on, presure drops.......

Hi Chris,

Yes, because I have been trying to solve this, I fitted self bleed valves to the hot and cold on the pump.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure about this suggestion unless I could read the shower pump installation instructions, but you could try placing a non return valve in the water supply to the shower pump. Perhaps check this with the manufacturer first.

AAARGH don't put self bleeding valves on pump supplies - they let air IN when the pressure goes negative. They should have caps on you can screw up tight.

I will replace them given what you said, but I had the problem prior the fitting them.

Any Ideas?

Thank for your help..

Prior to fitting them, did you have a means of letting air out!!?

No only by switching on the shower and bleeding like you would expect any tap to cough and splutter the first time.

Can it be that the pipe needs to be lower?

Pumps are happier lower but if it worked before why should it not now? It's acommon configaration. Maybe a call to a pump manufacterer would get suggestions. Doesn't really matter which one - just say its their pump!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back