Shower replaced RCD or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced an 8.5kw Jade II for a aquatronic 3 ultra 8.5kw so a straight off and on nothing altered anywhere.This is on a 32amp breaker does an rcd need fitting.Plainly on a new full install one has to be but,googled and can't find a correct answer on a direct swap ?.

Sponsored Links
should have had an Rcd in the first instance.

If following amendment 3 yes it needs RCD protection if not following amendment 3 then you need to follow manufacturers instructions and I have never seen any which did not state RCD required.

Even if the manufacturer does not ask for RCD protection it would not make sense not to include it.

No doubt the installations instructions for the new shower strongy suggest if not insist on the supply to the shower being protected by an RCD.

A protective device that will cut the power should there be a fault in the shower could be a life saver.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.yes instructions do say one should be fitted.Any idea on cost to supply and install one,South Yorkshire area.Board is an MEM 80amp with a trip switch rating of 0.03amps

Just replaced an 8.5kw Jade II for a aquatronic 3 ultra 8.5kw so a straight off and on nothing altered anywhere.This is on a 32amp breaker ...
Strictly speaking, a 32A MCB is not adequate for an 8.5kW shower. Even if (as is usually the case), the "8.5kW" is quoted at 240V, it would still draw nearly 34A at 230V - you should really have a 40A MCB. Do you know what size cable th circuit is wired with?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all.yes instructions do say one should be fitted.Any idea on cost to supply and install one,South Yorkshire area.Board is an MEM 80amp with a trip switch rating of 0.03amps
It sounds as if you already have an RCD! Does that device with a trip rating of 0.03 amps have a test button on it? Is there any possibility of a photo of it?

Kind Regards, John

If following amendment 3 yes it needs RCD protection if not following amendment 3 then you need to follow manufacturers instructions and I have never seen any which did not state RCD required.
Even before Amd3, there was a requirement for all circuits in a bathroom to have RCD protection. I get the impression that the OP probably knew that, but was asking whther replacing an existing shower invoked a requirement to bring the circuit into compliance with that requirement. In strict regulation terms, I'm not sure I now the answer to that.
Even if the manufacturer does not ask for RCD protection it would not make sense not to include it.
Indeed. Opinions about RCDs vary, but I doubt that anyone would disagree that the coming together of electricity, water and wet naked human bodies is the situation in which the case for an RCD is close to being at its strongest.

However, it now seems that the OP probably already has RCD protection,so the discussion may all be moot!!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks believe its 10mm cable and yes it has a quater turn reset dial and a test button located to the side

MEM 80amp with a trip switch rating of 0.03amps
I would also think this is a RCD. They have many names ELCB, RCBO, and RCCB are regular names as well as RCD. And 30mA = 0.030 amp.

As to 34 amp with 32 amp MCB you don't use a shower for long enough to matter. At 38 amp it starts to degrade the MCB and as it gets older it starts to trip more and more but does not really present a danger so would not really worry about 2 amp.

As already stated it the ohms which are constant not the watts so drop from 240 to 230 and it drops from 8.5kW to 7.8kW.

Cheers fellas ignore the first two pics iphone mayhem.It seems it does not require alteration then ?.

Here's your picture!

It is a 30mA RCD, but of uncertain age. I would expect to have that tested to check it is still working. I assume that it trips if the test button is pressed?
And the power to the shower goe off at the same time?

As to 34 amp with 32 amp MCB you don't use a shower for long enough to matter. At 38 amp it starts to degrade the MCB and as it gets older it starts to trip more and more but does not really present a danger so would not really worry about 2 amp.
I wouldn't personally worry, either - but I think the OP should be aware that it is not strictly compliant with regulations.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back