Shower running out of water too quickly....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an aqualisa pump at the base of the HWC on the first floor and a CWT in the loft on a raised platform. The shower in the ensuite on the first floor runs out of hot water at weekends after about 5 minutes. The shower control in the cubicle is a manual Aqualisa lever mixer.

We have the biggest shower head I have ever seen. About 9" across. Probably much bigger than is really necessary. The flow rate is otherwise fine, but maybe could be a little moure powerful. I'd considered changing the head for something like a Speakman 2 3/4" 4 jet flowing at 1.75 to 2.0 g/s.

Would this....?

Use less water
Mean that the HW supply lasted longer?
Increase the shower pressure.

Anyone used Speakman heads before? Any other suggestions for a good head;) ?

Sponsored Links
what size is your tank!!!

if its 50 gallons that will last for 25 seconds plus whatever the mains can supply say 1 gallon every 5 seconds!!!!!!
so around 30 seconds!!!!

all pure guesses

but i think you problem may be the amount off stored water in your tanks

If the mains pressure and flow is good enough, I would consider installing a DPS DHW heat bank conversion box and heat the cylinder directly. This will re-heat very quickly and combine the boiler output with the energy in the cylinder - and get a small shower head too.

Sponsored Links
What temperature is your hot water stored at?
You'll get at least a 50% longer shower if it's 60º than if it's 50º. Bigger difference in the winter.

Try bunging up two thirds of the shower head's holes with candle wax - it'll make the other jets faster and it'll last longer. Measure the difference in flow rate, with a bucket.
If it works for you, you could use something more permanent. If not, you'll have learned something useful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back