Shower Screen Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right forum but it's the nearest I could find. I have a new bath, one with a bulge at one end, and a curved glass shower screen with the usual rubber strip along the bottom. Unfortunately, when I'm using the shower and the bath lip gets wet, the shower screen falls inwards and hits me. This is because the lip of the bath slants inwards and when it's wet there's not enough friction to keep the screen in place. Any suggestions how I can stop this happening? I would be happy to stick something on the lip of the bath but I can't think what to use. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well clearly, of those two, it's because the screen's been fitted too high ;)

Not sure if there's any adjustment possible.

Sponsored Links
One solution to consider is a replacement seal. There are loads available to suit all sorts of shower screens either google "Shower screen seal" or look up on ebay. Many are oversize for trimming to suit so a tighter fit to the bath may help.

If the screen swings on it's own then it is either out of plumb as already suggested by another poster or it may have been fitted incorrectly.

Recent screens I have fitted for suites from bathstore have positions that the screen can be parked in (cam like fitting in the bearing), so it stays firmly in place sealed to the bath or can be swung away into another "parked" position.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure that it's installed incorrectly. I think it's more to do with the fact that it's resting on the bath edge that slopes inwards. When dry there's enough friction between the seal and the bath to keep it in place. I bet if I removed the seal so that the screen wasn't in contact with the bath it wouldn't swing on its own (actually that would be a very good test!). The seal is one of those double ones, with two "wings" - not sure what to call them - but it seals on the outside and the inside. From a physics point of view, the tension on the outside "wing" wants to push the screen inwards, and the inner "wing" wants to push it outwards. When wet, the outer "wing" wins because of the sloping lip of the bath. Does that make sense? Maybe an alternative seal is the answer. Those screens with parking positions sound like a really good idea.

Any suggestions how I can stop this happening? I would be happy to stick something on the lip of the bath but I can't think what to use. Thanks.

Perhaps as a last resort consider using a shortish bead of silicone say 100mm long on the bath near the far end of the screen.

Clean the bath, use some methylated spirits to degrease, wipe dry and apply silicone bead to act as a stop for the shower screen seal to come against. Leave for 24 hours to fully cure before trying the screen on it

I am assuming you are talking about a 'P' shaped screen. I vaguely remember having this problem a few years back with an installation. The screen is not close enough to the bath edge to remain in place but cannot be lowered because of the height of the hinge.

The screen I had problems with was from Be & Queue. I contacted their help line and they explained how to rotate the plastic lugs inside the frame which meant that the door sat slightly lower on the bath. The problem was solved.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by a P shaped screen. Mine is curved glass with a clear flexible sealing strip on the bottom edge.

If it is positioned right on the inside bath edge then it has been installed incorrectly, screens are usually fitted about 15mm in from outside edge.

Here's an update. The seal on the shower screen is not exactly as I thought. It's got a centre blade with a "bubble" half way down, and a fin on one edge. The nearest example I could find on the internet is this

http://www.theshowerseal.co.uk/shower-seals/4-6-mm-glass/shower-seal-b4-4-6mm.html?___SID=U

but the centre blade is not so long.

However, I'm not convinced it's installed correctly. The fin is on the outside of the bath. I'm wondering if this matters or whether it should be on the inside. Whether that explains the tendency to slide inwards is another question though - I'm hoping it does!

A further update - is there anyone still there?

I've come to the conclusion, rightly or wrong, that the screen isn't fitted correctly. I bit the bullet and removed the seal to see where the screen sits naturally, and sure enough, its normal resting position is not over the lip of the bath - it's inside the bath exactly where it has a tendency to fall to when wet. Not surprising really. Blagard alluded to this in his response. The screen has a rise and fall hinge so I'm assuming that the resting position can be adjusted. Waiting to hear from the fitters. So, in short, I don't think the seal has anything to do with this problem.

It involves removing the screen from the wall profile, taking the end caps off and rotating the lugs, but best to wait for advice first.

It involves removing the screen from the wall profile, taking the end caps off and rotating the lugs, but best to wait for advice first.

Thanks for that. I've searched the internet for the fitting instructions of loads of screens and none show you how to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back