Shower screen leak, my mistake?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've almost finished my first bathroom refurb...never again, haha.

The shower screen I've installed is leaking at the hinge part where it sits on the bath. The instructions said silicone the outside c channel and around the external part of the hinge - which ive done. I did add a bead around the inside c channel on the inside.

Would removing that bit of silicone on the inside sort it? My concern is the hinge part physically moves when the screen is moved so I'd never get a bead to stay on the outside section...

Any help would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• 20221115_102031.jpg
    20221115_102031.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20221115_102035.jpg
    20221115_102035.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20221115_102051.jpg
    20221115_102051.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20221115_102051.jpg
    20221115_102051.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20221115_102031.jpg
    20221115_102031.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Sorry for the two posts but just had a hand with someone pouring water the other side of the screen and water comes through at the two blue arrow points

Attachments

• 20221115_102051.jpg
    20221115_102051.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 75
Would removing that bit of silicone on the inside sort it?
I think leaving it in - would allow water to build up on the inside - which will push it out on the hinge. In other words it builds up a head of water and is then forced out at the weakest part of the seal - presumably the hinge.
Sealant on both sides creates a space to store the water and so eventually it'll find it's way out.

I removed that little horizontal section of silicone and that seems to have stopped the water coming through the hinge section, but water still comes through the part where the rubber seal meets the metal part of the shower screen annoyingly, I'm going to triple check the installation manual again to see whether I've installed something incorrectly.

Sponsored Links
I removed that little horizontal section of silicone and that seems to have stopped the water coming through the hinge section, but water still comes through the part where the rubber seal meets the metal part of the shower screen annoyingly, I'm going to triple check the installation manual again to see whether I've installed something incorrectly.
You could notch a bit of where it actually mounts to the glass allowing the squeegee section to push further in against the hinge.

Thanks, that's exactly what I did earlier, cut a section of the upper part of the seal (where it connects to the screen) and that brought the seal closer to the hinge. There's still a circa. 2mm gap between the two.

After doing some research these types of screens seem to be prone to this, I'm glad my floor is tile on concrete rather than wood etc. Otherwise would ha e considered changing the screen!

Slicecbr, you will have to remove the shower screen from the wall and the tub rim.
Then clean everything and re-install it following the Mfr's Instructions.
If the jamb has been distorted then its had its day.
Adding and subtracting silicone will only cause more problems.

Has the screen been fitted upside down?
The bottom part usually has a small drip hole in it, to allow the water build up to leak back into the bath.
Check the same part at the top to see if there is a hole there.

Thanks for the responses. I checked whether I put it upside down as the written on the screen was upside down in the photo. Both ends are the same and the writing is the right way up so must be okay.

I took the little silicone strip off which ran on the inside of the bath rim and its alot better now. Cutting the seal so it sits slightly closer to the screen also helped. You get a slight drip if you constantly pour water on it but during a shower nothing seemed to come through!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back